UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Our property taxes are more per year than our daughter’s tuition at Cal Poly… gotta love mello Roos!

1 Like

Sorry you’re going through this but glad you still have good options.

1 Like

Sending you good vibes for today! :pray:t3::pray:t3:

Thank you. If portal astrology is to be believed, it’s not going to be a good day. :frowning:

I’m not convinced that astrology is to be believed, but hang in there either way. I’m still hoping it’s a great day for both of us. :heart: (my kid won’t touch that withdrawal button)

1 Like

Lots of luck and good vibes for you!

2 Likes

Our family considered having my child take a gap year in case things did not work out as we hoped for - meaning having choices my child was happy with. College counsellor discouraged this to some degree. The counsellor said the gap year need to make an impact, impression on apps to make it worth taking the gap year. Also she pointed out that, when a student takes a gap year it needs to be planned out early on. You have to have achieved something you can talk about on apps within a few months of graduation - June to December. This made us rethink a gap year and just hope for the best.

4 Likes

Has anyone heard if Regents Scholarships were already notified for UCSB? Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to get admitted to the Honors program there? Student was admitted as undeclared (social science) which was listed as first choice major.

I have not seen anyone report Regents but my guess is that they were already notified.

Note that neither Regents nor Honors at UCSB give priority course registration.

I agree 100%. It’s definitely not an easier route.

I saw someone on CC who took a gap year and was still shut out of the same schools. This year is brutal and it sure doesn’t seem like it’s going to get any easier.

1 Like

Post #185

1 Like

I think there was another one too? Trying to get into several UCs of waitlist?

Of the schools my son has been accepted to UCSB is his top choice, with only UMich left outstanding. He would have to get an incredible FinAid offer to even consider UMich.

The question is, should he complete his SIR at UCSB now or just wait until UMich announces, which could be a week or more.

There is no rush to SIR as long as he does it by May 1. The housing application opens March 24th but will not be looked at until after May 1.

1 Like

Try to make it there on April 9. They will celebrate your son’s acceptance. Admitted student days are usually a very positive experience.

No rush as you have until May 1 to SIR.

S22 Admitted :smiley:
In state Bay Area
Prepsych
College - Letters & Science
3.17 UW 3.39 W
Accepted CSULA and UCSB, Waitlisted UCSC, rejected UCB UCI and CSULB
UCSC was the goal and once I got waitlisted I was ready to go to CSULA but here we are

5 Likes

Can someone please explain what pre-Econ is?

It means that you need to complete the pre-major courses before you can officially declare the major. This major requirement sheet might be helpful. https://econ.ucsb.edu/sites/default/files/2020-09/2020-21-Econ-Major-Sheet.pdf

1 Like

Thanks so much!

Looks like UMich decisions are out today.