**uc santa cruz class of 2025 discussion**

I have google mapped both locations several times, and I see what you mean- one wooded with ocean views, the other suburban next to a mall (but with a really nice park smack dab in the middle). We live in the middle of the woods but 40 minutes from Manhattan, so the appeal of living in a Redwood forest (and UCI’s park) is a plus for my son. And he’s a huge Star Wars fan, so there’s the Endor factor of UCSC. He can’t stand shopping malls though he does like the easy access to Trader Joe’s. Never had an In-and-Out burger so wants to know what all the fuss is about. But he really likes that at UCSC you can sit and gaze at the ocean at a distance.

1 Like

Deleted

I’m just really worried about the housing crisis and the new developments. If I go to UCSC, am I signing up for four years of stressing about the environment and not finding a place to live? I wouldn’t feel comfortable sharing a room with 2-5 other people. I literally just would not survive, lol.

1 Like

If your son is a Star Wars fan and loves the idea of living in a Redwood forest, UCSC is seriously the perfect fit for him. I’ve heard people call UCSC an “Ewok Village” multiple times! UCSC has tree houses scattered all over campus in the massive redwood trees. It was quite a sight to see.

3 Likes

To what new developments are you referring? I hear that UCSC is planning to build more on-campus housing:

https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/03/student-housing-west-approved.html

The treehouses sound so cool!

This new development. In the east meadow, which is the home of a red toed frog or something. I’m not sure, I’ve never been there, but I could see myself immediately becoming very panicked about it- I tend to get attached to the environment. Oops. Plants.

1 Like

That is the dilemma with growth/ how to achieve it without disturbing the natural world.

Yeah. As in all cases, I feel like they could achieve it if they were willing to prioritize the environment over money, which humans are rarely able to do. Or, y’know, they could lower admissions and just have less people.

1 Like

Congrats! I also got this scholarship, but since I am OOS - this makes a very expensive school for me event after $10k off…

2 Likes

They do seem to have courses in that area so perhaps I can do that! That initiative would be pretty dope. All the other UCs have it so why can’t UCSC. Thanks :grin:

1 Like

This is a little misleading in that being on the top of the list is largely a functions of size of the school.

I see they have a Feminist Studies with a major offered:

https://feministstudies.ucsc.edu/

And a Queer and Sexuality Studies but with no major or minor offered yet. They do suggest designing an independent major. I imagine you could lobby for a minor as well?

https://qss.ucsc.edu/

1 Like

And that’s (size) mentioned at the end of the article with the CMU mention. I want misled, since it’s quite obvious state schools make up a large portion of the list.

so if I got into ucsc but won’t be attending, it’ll help those on the waitlist if I decline my position right now?

3 Likes

Yes and no, since all schools admit more students than actually enroll, many students have to decline before they start going to the waitlist. If you know for sure you will not attend, it is always better to let the schools know sooner than later.

3 Likes

oops- accidentally replied to you when I meant to reply to another person. OOS is still expensive. I see you are on other college boards with good prospects. I’m sure you’ll make the best choice for yourself!

Our senior has let go of 4 places - it is hard for them but it seems fair to school and process and other kids.

Kid is waitlisted at a local UC (admitted to top CSUs and good OOS options)

If student has extenuating circumstances to stay local (health and safety related)

1. Would an appeal apply to this situation? Or is the appeal process designed for making an academic argument?
  2. If appealing, is student saying they will take the spot if given? Would want to proceed with “good faith” in negotiating that process.

Health issues and remaining close to home are valid reasons to purse an appeal. Appeals again are not binding, but in this case since your basis is asking to remain close to home, UCSC would most likely expect the student to attend.

1 Like

Thank you