**uc santa cruz class of 2025 discussion**

It was under the financial aid tab, under the subsection “view financial aid”. This is also where it showed me that I got a Dean’s Scholarship, which I didn’t even get notified about through email

And can we quickly just mention proximity to Yosemite? One of the most beautiful national parks in the nation. Weekend hiking anyone?

I love the Central Valley, not a particularly popular opinion. It has a special kind of magic, if one just takes the time to look.

3 Likes

Update: I finally got the email for FA. Again I don’t know if offers will be rolled out but it’s worth checking if accepted

Were you also accepted in feb or in this recent wave?

I was accepted back in February!

1 Like

Ok makes sense! I was accepted in the recent wave so am not seeing any finaid info yet. Thanks for clarifying

Does anyone know if there’s an accepted students facebook group for UCSC?

There is. It is UC Santa Cruz (UCSC) Class of 2025 (Official) | Facebook

If on my Fin Aid page it says that I got 12000 off my tuition (I didn’t apply for financial aid as an intl applicant), does that mean I got the dean’s award?

I got my FA today as well. I’m completely heartbroken that I can’t afford my dream school :disappointed_relieved:

I am regent but I haven’t received any scholarship (international)
is that normal?

My son received Dean’s Scholarship yesterday. Very nice surprise as we weren’t expecting any sort of aid as OOS. This is putting UCSC more to the top of his list now.

1 Like

how does ucsc compare to the other uc’s?

They all have a near-identical curriculum so the biggest difference between them is the campus and their location.

1 Like

Only reason why I’m choosing UCSC over UCI is because it’s too close to home and I don’t like how it’s a commuter school. I couldn’t tell a big difference between UCI’s and UCSC’s departments. UCI has their own school of information and computer sciences while UCSC’s CS program is in the Jack Baskin school of engineering. I toured both schools and saw sample schedules of what it’s like to study CS; UCSC had more required CS classes and UCI had more required physics/math courses. In my eyes, this is another plus for UCSC because I really don’t care all too much about physics. My main concern is being prepared to land a job after graduation and I felt that UCSC does that better. Also, Silicon Valley vs Orange County for a career in tech? Silicon Valley is the clear winner.

UCI is an amazing school, it’s just not for me.

4 Likes

No idea why they don’t have those as specific areas of study. Have you looked through their course offerings to see how many courses they offer in these areas? There may be enough where you might be able to design your own minor. You could be the one who initiates the change and rally the students to demand it. :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thank you for this perspective. I hadn’t thought about UCI being a commuter school which would cut down on some of the social aspects of the college experience. And knowing my son, he’d prefer more CS elective options than having to take more physics.

I lived in the dorms at UCI and the weekends were fantastically quiet and productive. I could choose to hang out with my friends who lived on campus or not. There are pros to being at a commuter school.

UCI and UCSC are two different animals when it comes to the vibe of the campus and surrounding areas. Definitely worth doing some virtual tours, checking out the curriculum, and seeing the areas in-person if possible.

3 Likes

Alas, we are in New York, and California still does not let in visitors without a ten day quarantine even with the vaccine which we both got already. Tons of virtual visits and peppering some generous people with lots of questions. Strange to think my son will be attending a school sight unseen, but he is pretty hell bent on getting to Silicon Valley or closer to it and getting away from our brutal NY winters!

3 Likes

Santa Cruz is someplace I would live or visit for a weekend trip. Irvine is not. So there’s that.

2 Likes