UC Santa Cruz Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thank you for the stats! And you are a super-star for all you do here!

1 Like

You are in good company. There are kids with even higher gpa’s that got waitlisted. No idea what they are looking for at UCSC. :frowning: The whole thing is so confusing! Congrats on your other acceptances, and I’m sure there are more to come!

1 Like

I was also accepted early. Haven’t heard from scholars program. Was it an email or on the portal?

1 Like

Argh that’s tough. As others mentioned they won’t look at SAT. But did you mention NMS in achievements?

I think they look for geographical diversity. My kid with 3.85/4.2 GPA made it in

1 Like

He received an email for the scholars program in few days after the early acceptance . Today he received email about the scholarship.

My S received an email today with a scholarship…and he was notified on 2/28 with an invitation to CSP.

1 Like

Good luck as well💜

1 Like

Agree :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

I think we are aware in this thread that you’re not automatically on the wait list, and you have to opt in. And soon. I’lI let DD do what she wants, but I’m too proud to ask for waitlist. Did mention semi-finalist on achievements on the application. In the old days, some schools would multiply the GPA and the SAT, as an internal ranking index.

I think we have to assume at this point that all the UCs will reject her. UCD did. Did not apply to UCR or UCM though. Still waiting on half a dozen private colleges anyway.

3 Likes

It’s been said many times before on here, GPA is only one factor they look at. Yes, it’s probably the most important one, but there are so many other things that go into a decision it’s impossible to tell what they are looking at and why they chose child A over child B.

We only applied to CSU’s and UC’s so my kid didn’t even bother taking the SAT since we knew they were test blind.

With such an amazing SAT score, I’m sure your child will receive some great offers. Good luck to your family!

6 Likes

The UC’s are so unpredictable for many reasons, and it is frustrating as a California tax payer.
Wishing all the best for your daughter!

3 Likes

I’ve seen this chart before but looking at it now it’s so stunning that 7 of the 9 UCs have <45% acceptance rates for CA residents and 6 (the majority of them) offer admission to fewer than 1 of 3 applicants at best, and presumably it will be even tighter this year. We have to wonder how long at this rate CA will even be able to offer UC Merced to the top 9% who didn’t “apply widely.” I guess the coming demographic changes (fewer babies born in CA post 2008) will help. . .

2 Likes

Agree, and understanding this now (second time through), I’m more and more inclined to try to help people think of the UCs as just one of two really great 4-year college systems. Students really should be applying widely to the CSUs. It didn’t occur to us to have our son do that back in 2021, but we made sure our daughter added some to her list this year. They are great schools too and maybe just a tiny bit more predictable since a lot admit by major and are less holistic than the UCs.

Congratulations to all the new prospective Banana Slugs! To those waitlisted, I hope this year will be more like the one before last when a lot of kids got good news after the SIR deadline!

8 Likes

I will add one final thought. I don’t see a waitlist as begging.

I see it as the college acknowledging that your student qualifies for admission, but they’re not really sure of your level of interest/best fit. A waitlist is an opportunity for you to indicate that you are interested in their campus, and they will then send an offer of admission if they have room.

As before, best of luck!

11 Likes

I got one on 3/6 inviting us to Banana Slug Day, but it was just a repeat of what she had been sent. Maybe one more earlier than that?

By and large, especially once they SIR at a school, all the communications go to students. They treat them like adults who don’t have parents :joy:, and if you want to be notified about stuff like housing and tuition, the student has to grant you access and request you get emails!

Edit: 2, actually! There was a Congrats email on 2/28 which was the day after the acceptance.

1 Like

3.85(UW) 4.44(UC GPA).
Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology
Accepted (Instate)

5 Likes

DD was waitlisted- 3.98 unweighted, 4.71 weighted. 9 APs, all honors classes, top 9%, valedictorian candidate, lots of ECs, volunteering, leadership, community service, summer job. She was also waitlisted for UC Davis, so is now worried about not getting into any UCs (besides Riverside). Thankfully, she has gotten into some great schools (Case Western, DePaul, U Wash, Chapman, Cal Poly SLO, UC Riverside, SDSU, CSULB, Ohio U), some with very generous scholarships. While her heart is a little broken, she knows she has some really nice schools to choose from, and anything can happen at this point. I really do believe she will end up where she is meant to be, and we feel fortunate that she has some options.

5 Likes

Wow just wow. Do you have any insight why? Something in the PIQs? I don’t mean to pry but my younger kid is like yours and it would break her as she likes CA

We are visiting SLO today

Tuition for the UC’s are usually billed within a Month prior to starting the Fall Quarter or Semester. Quarter system campuses in August and Semester systems in July. Deadlines for fee payment are usually within a week prior to start of classes.

1 Like

S23 waitlisted (will probably not opt in)

4.0/4.3, 5 APs and additional honors, multi-sport athlete/captain/championships, club officer. Accepted at UCD, Cal Poly SLO, SDSU, and others. Major is something like marine science/ biology.

S22 with similar stats (but more APs and scholar-athlete awards) waitlisted last year at four UCs (SD, SB, SC, D) before eventually being rejected by all (rejected outright at Irvine and LA). Thriving at a CSU, but took a while. In our experience, being waitlisted at so many schools until July really prolonged his agony and only delayed the process of coming to grips with realistic options. It was a very tough experience for someone who worked hard to be a high-achiever for so long.

Glad S23 is having a better experience — and that S22 is happy for him and not resentful.

3 Likes