UC Santa Cruz Class of 2027 Official Thread

Got an email to check portal but checked it before the email because of posts here. S23 got denied 3.7 physics

1 Like

My son’s stats same as your son but for Mechanical Engineering.

Wait listed at CSULB and UCSC.
Accepted at UC Merced, CSUF and few OOS schools
Waiitng for UCR and CPP and SDSJ

I hope he can stay at CA for money saving, but CA schools seem like getting harder for local students year by year.

Congrats on CPP admission! We have visited CPP last summer, very nice campus!

Good luck to the rest of the results.

1 Like

Son was accepted early with scholars invitation. Got an email that he was selected for the campus merit scholarship 2000 per year

3 Likes

Just guessing 9 AP means 18 semesters + 6 semesters of regular classes (24x4+18)/24 =4.75

Update. My daughter looked at the UCSC portal without my saying anything. Waitlisted. We take it as a win considering she was rejected from UCD and hasn’t heard anything from Cal Poly SLO.

I wish I could give you accurate stats, but it is a total mess because she went to two different high schools with two different grading systems, and one quarter may have been double-counted. No idea how the colleges are calculating it.

Staus: Waitlisted – either Communications or Business-Marketing – no idea because she applied to different programs at different schools.
UW GPA: 3.7 - 3.85?
Weighted GPA: 3.1 - 3.33?
UC GPA: 3.1?
APs/Honors: Eight APs, including senior year. Five honors classes.
ECs: Junior Class President. Cool volunteer work. Many small, independent ECs in her areas of interest (business/marketing.)
Essays: Very well written but probably lacking in substance.

Congrats to all who got in. I’m just happy she wasn’t flat-out rejected!!

5 Likes

Son waitlisted for Business Econ.

Weighted UC 4.04

A bit sad because this was really the only school he would consider going to. He has a significant medical hardship that means he needs to be close to home and his other good state options are a bit too far away.

Accepted UCR, UCM, USF, Oregon, Cal Poly Pomona, Fullerton and a bunch of other CSU’s. Rejected from Davis.

Unless the waitlist comes through he’ll likely be headed to community college which he’s actually totally ok with.

5 Likes

Daughter waitlisted, too, but I bet they will take a lot of people off the waitlist! Good luck to your son!

1 Like

Thank you! Good luck to your daughter as well.

1 Like

What’s acceptance rate for this year? And how many students applied?:slight_smile:

1 Like

Freshman Applicants for 2023 : 68820

Acceptance rate usually not posted until the waitlist is closed.

3 Likes

DD 1570 SAT. National Merit Semifinalist. UCSC offers waitlist. Must elect within a week. Were not going to beg. If the UC doesn’t want 99.7th percentile kids, they don’t get this one. I think UC gets so many applicants, they only look at GPA, which was only 4.0.

All the UCs are test blind, so they are unable to use your D’s 1570 SAT in her admissions decision. Hopefully she has some schools on her list that are not test blind and will see her score. Sorry about the wait list and good luck with other schools!

5 Likes

UC can’t use SAT because of a 2019 lawsuit from low-income students of color and students with disabilities who argued that they were at a disadvantage compared with applicants who could afford test prep services or travel easily to exam and class sites. We should not have wasted $490 applying to any UC’s, if our strength was SAT and not GPA.

5 Likes

I hear what you are saying about the 99.7 percentile kids; your DD’s SAT score is absolutely amazing. But a question for you about the waitlist–“must elect within a week.” There’s no downside to choosing to remain on the waitlist, right? I wouldn’t view it as “begging” but just coolly accepting a place on the waitlist. I think USCS has recently utilized their waitlist a LOT in recent years. Where else did she apply? Has she received some good admission offers? Best of luck to her. I too wish Cal State and UC still valued SATs but test blind is the situation we’re in these days (lawsuit settlement in the case of UCs).

7 Likes

Son got waitlisted. Email says they will let us know the decision no later than end of july .
Apart from SIR deposit , when do we typically pay full tuition in UCs or any private colleges ?

1 Like

waitlisted for env sci welp
1520 sat 4.2 gpa, 6 aps/2 honors/2 college courses

accepted to cal poly slo, uc riverside, occidental, university of oregon, bucknell

2 Likes

Thank you for this table. Very informative!

1 Like

Your daughter will get better offers. Wishing her and you the best!

You are welcome. Also regarding your comment about UC’s and OOS admit rates. Yes, for several of the campuses the OOS/International admit rates are higher than CA residents but the yield rate is low mainly to due UC costs and lack of FA.

2022 Freshman admit rates

Campus CA RESIDENT OUT OF STATE INTERNATIONAL
Berkeley 14.5% 8.6% 5.5%
Davis 32.3% 59.8% 43%
Irvine 18.2% 36.6% 21%
Los Angeles 9.2% 8.9% 5.8%
Merced 100% 78.6% 81.7%
Riverside 66% 88.1% 68.%
San Diego 23.8% 31.5% 15.5%
Santa Barbara 26.7% 28.8% 19.7%
Santa Cruz 43.2% 70.7% 55.4%
4 Likes

Good info! I have a lot more to say about the tactics the UC system is using that don’t comply with other lawsuits, but I will save that for another day and link articles.

3 Likes