DD Got in
Wt GPA : 4.75 ,
around 14-15 APs ( mostly 5’s & few 4),
ACT = 36,
Dual enrollments & few community college courses
Strong ECs & Leaderships ( multiple) ,
Finalist National Merit Scholarship,
Excellent essays & LOR,
Multiple awards at State & couple of high rankings at National level for one of her EC
Published research paper & presented the same at a conference

5 Likes

A question : Did UCSC release decision for selective students today? All those high achievers only or random pick. Any idea?
Do they release on regular basis until March end or any other particular dates? Just curious

Decision: Accepted!
Merit scholarships awarded (if any): –
Major: Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology

UC Unweighted GPA: 3.89
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.11
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.67

ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes

Number of a-g courses: ~34 semesters
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: ~26 semesters
AP courses/exams: 3 (3 senior year) + 12 DE

Extracurriculars: Medical Internship @T5, Research Internship @T5 (undergoing publishing process), Cellular Medicine Workshop, HOSA (state and international finalist), and more

Personal Insight essays (details): I don’t really consider myself a strong writer but my friends said they were really good 8/10-ish ?

Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

State/location of HS: CA Bay Area
Applied for need-based financial aid? No
First Generation? No

3 Likes

Decision: Accepted!
Merit scholarships awarded (if any): ?
Major applied to: Robotics Engineering
ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.27
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.33

ELC (top 9% CA HS): yes

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of a-g courses:
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: school does not offer any
AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): She took almost all available at her school - AP Euro (4), AP Lang (5), AP Psych (5), AP Calc AB and BC (3), Senior Year - AP Physics, AP Chem, AP Enviro Sci, AP Gov, AP MicroEcon
IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): school does not offer any

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): none

SUBJECTIVE::
Extracurriculars:
president & founder of engineering club, president & founder of women in Stem club, captain of robotics team, president & founder of creative writing club, 6 years of coding -html, java, mostly Python, coded an open source doc used to send updated commands to some currently active satellites, co-coordinated an elementary school STEM fair, coordinated a professional women in STEM panel

Job/Work Experience: has worked minimal hours at a job for the last 6 months
Volunteer/Community service: 60hrs
Summer Activities: not much

Personal Insight essays (details): From an admissions industry friend who gave them a quick read, this was a strength in her application. Wrote one on leadership, one on community, one on diversity, and another on tubing on the lake(determination)

Supplemental/Augmented Review: no

DEMOGRAPHICS::
State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
Applied for need-based financial aid? no
First Generation? no

4 Likes

Some high achieving students and possible scholarship recipients heard about their decision but not all high stats. Most decisions will be out in March. Last year it was March 15.

1 Like

D23 accepted.
3.88 UW / 4.2 UC cap / 4.5 W
lots of ECs including working in local politics, state-wide leadership
33ACT

maybe not her preferred UC but genuinely happy last night to have a good instate option.

4 Likes

Has anyone who has applied for the Global and Community Health major heard back early? Again, wondering if certain majors/programs function differently. My DS stats compare favorably to others listed here but hasn’t heard yet.

I have not seen any posters accepted into the Global and Community Health major. You can search this discussion by clicking on the magnifying glass upper right, typing in a key word and search within this topic. That is what I did.

I know that not all High achieving applicants heard early the last few years. Many have to wait until March with the majority of applicants.

Thank you.

1 Like

My daughter was accepted to Global and Community Health major yesterday. I haven’t had a chance to put in stats.

4 Likes

“33ACT” But I thought you could not submit test scores?

OOS son accepted for Marine Biology
UW GPA 3.7
unsure of capped UC GPA but think 3.9
Great EC’s including paid assistance at Science Institute
4 AP’s (small rural Colorado town)
Great Recommendations (I think?!)
No outside help with his essays, themed on his deep love for Marine Science and photography

Very Excited and is his first choice UC

9 Likes

Son accepted
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: CS

Weighted(school): 4.86

ELC (top 9% : Yes

AP courses/exams ): 18 APs( including senior year) mostly 5s, few 4s
DE: multi variable calculus, linear Algebra , few computer courses.

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AIME qualifier, USACO, Science Fair , Robotics(national/ international)

Extracurriculars: Robotics, two clubs president , some other leadership roles. Research, non profit organization
Volunteer/Community service: 500+ hrs
Summer: individual research ( published)

Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

DEMOGRAPHICS:: CA, Bay Area
First Generation? No

1 Like

Based on the quality of the candidates above, is it fair to assume that UCSC was a “safety” school? and probably about 80% accepted (here) may not choose UCSC?

Thoughts?

1 Like

Decision: daughter accepted 2/27/23
Merit scholarships awarded (if any):
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Global and Community Health

UC Capped Weighted GPA:
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.38 (I think)
multiple AP and IB and honors classes

ELC (top 9% CA HS): yes

SUBJECTIVE::
Extracurriculars: pre professional dance conservatory, HOSA HS chapter activities director, mock trial
Job/Work Experience: Internship county public health, 100 hours at hospital in NICU, Heath Academy program at high school, Ca Dept of Public Health job
Volunteer/Community service: Numerous public health events for community, City Parks and Rec Youth Commissioner
Summer Activities: dance intensives, hospital volunteer

Personal Insight essays (details): Focused on community service and public health career goals

Supplemental/Augmented Review: Yes or No- no

DEMOGRAPHICS::
State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): Northern Ca, public high school
Country (if international applicant):
First Generation? No

1 Like

I do think a lot of people are using UCSC as a safety school. Honestly, for most in-state applicants, it would be foolish not to check the UCSC box. Admission at many UCs is highly unpredictable. For CS applicants especially, most UCs have single digit acceptance rates. So you will naturally see a bunch of high stat applicants in this thread. At least one of the people posting in this thread already received early UCB admission and a Regents invite.

My son said that he knows one person whose first choice is UCSC, and that person hasn’t received their decision yet… he also thinks that some high stat CS applicants who were just accepted to UCSC may appreciate it more after they are waitlisted or denied from other UCs. It is a great school with a lot to offer, the only problem for my kid is that it doesn’t offer his first choice majors.

7 Likes

When I looked at the stats here, I feel shameful. My twins got accepted yesterday luckily with 3.8x/4.1x and 3.9x/4.2x GPA and only handfuls of DE and AP (their school doesn’t offer a lot of advanced classes). And I’m just a working class single mom with limited resources. I do believe that UCs look at the overall package though. Both my boys received a scholarship in the past summer to study aboard in Europe for a month. It probably helps.

5 Likes

I think a lot of twins got accepted in this round. I may put the parents to choose a school if they both get admitted to the same school. Good strategy on UCSC’s part!

3 Likes

Yes , I agree.
UC acceptances are difficult & having just one application for all makes it easy for the kids to check all the UC schools.
It is possible for in-state kids to have safety schools coming from UC rather than looking elsewhere.

4 Likes

I have twins who applied to many of the same schools but I absolutely will not make the choose the same school for convenience. Just like any other siblings they are their own individuals and deserve to have their choices.

2 Likes