UC Santa Cruz Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

I emailed the admissions office yesterday asking about the tours and the UCSC email not being set up yet and received the link to sign up for an admitted student tour shortly afterwards. I checked last night and there were tons of spaces in April and a few in March BUT the link was published here on CC and now they are all filled ugh.

1 Like

Has any in-state people gotten financial aid from UCSC yet? I got my offer and it had $0 gift aid so either they haven’t given anything out yet or I just didn’t qualify for anything, which sucks.

Hoping I don’t have to pay ~$40,000 my first year which I definitely cannot afford :sweat:

I got my UCSC fin aid offer a few weeks ago, and I only got the 5k per year merit scholarship from Regents.

Of course, I didn’t qualify for any need based aid though.

Damn it, figured as much. Now I have to figure out if Computer Science at UCSC is worth $100k+ in debt.

What is your EFC on the FASFA? Did you run the Net Price calculator prior to applying?

The UC’s give very good need-based aid but little in the way of merit aid.

1 Like

EFC was really high so I get why, but it’s not actually representative of what my family will contribute, which is 10k or less. Kinda got screwed by the numbers on this one. Can I revise the EFC to what they are actually going to give me or am I just screwed because of stingy parents?

what’s considered a high EFC?

You cannot revise the FASFA unless you and your parents made a mistake. You are eligible for $27K/4 years in student loans $5500 Freshman year, $6500 Sophomore year and $7500 Junior and Senior year. Are your parents aware of the costs of the UC’s? Did your parents give you a budget?

An EFC higher than the COA which is around 39K per year.
Need based aid is provided if EFC < COA

If your EFC exceeds the cost of attendance for a school then an applicant should not expect to get any need-based aid.

Edited: @HumbleTeen beat me to it but great minds think alike. :grinning:

1 Like

Alright thank you. My parents are either going to contribute 10k or nothing per year (family drama) but I have savings that can pay off the first year. I have a suspicion that I might have misinterpreted what counts as assets so it’s way higher than it should be (it actually could be that way but I don’t think so). So hopefully next year’s FAFSA will get me some more aid :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For example, equity in your primary home is not considered as an asset in FAFSA (though considered in CSS which is used by private schools)
If you have included the above in the asssets, then you can file a revised FAFSA with corrections and let FInaid department know.

2 Likes

Mine did. It came at the same time as, or very close to, the acceptance.

1 Like

On Sunday, I booked a tour in April for my daughter and her friend, both got accepted. Link was posted here on Friday (I believe) and still tons of spaces open in April. Can’t imagine every single space filled up today and yesterday - I think it’s more likely the school just turned off sign-ups on their end.

It is currently spring break. UCSC may need to wait until students return to verify tour guide availability.

3 Likes

Does anyone know when financial aid awards will be available?

3 Likes

Usually it’s just a few days after decisions.

I know it’s unlikely that any parents of students who were rejected are still on the board, but it looks like my son (Who did not get in) received a chatty UCSC email today. Has anyone else had this happen? :confused:

What did the email say? A friend of mine is hoping her son gets off the waitlist.

My waitlisted kid got an email yesterday about the extended financial aid deadline, but nothing today.

2 Likes