UC vs Community College

Hi, I’ve been accepted to UC San Diego for Human Bio and UC Davis for Biochem/Molecular Bio, and I am debating whether to go to these schools or community college. I would like to one day go to med school. I come from a middle-class family and I have the whole 30,000+ tuition/room and board (and yes I have been applying for scholarships but haven’t heard back from any). I don’t want to burden my parents to pay this and take out a hefty student loan. Another option is to go to community college for 2 years and then transfer to a UC to save money (called the TAG program).

If I go to a community college, I would certainly save money, but is it worth missing the college experience, making connections with professors, and possibly missing research/internship opportunities offered at a UC? How hard exactly are 1st/ 2nd-year classes at a UC (weeder classes from what I hear)? Is there anybody who used TAG and what is your experience/ is it worth it? Thank you!

I am in community college, and I know a person who is going the same route (community to med school) as you are thinking. I also have friends who have gone to UCSD; apparently they don’t have very good teachers. In general, they are chosen for research, not for teaching. The opposite is true at a community college.