*UCB Freshman Class of 2025 Waitlist and Appeal discussion*

i mean that makes no sense though because if they already have enough, they will just use those people instead. im guessing it is because not enough people opted in and also a lot less people got waitlisted at berkeley compared to a school like ucla

btw is anyone here waitlisted at ucla as well??

Just a guess, because of the uncertainty this year, a lot of top students applied to a large number of schools and are sitting on many admission offers. Berkeley knows that it may be tough to attract some of these top OOS students because of the high cost; international admits are also uncertain this year because of the worsening COVID situation in countries like India. Naturally, they have to hedge against such contingencies with a larger WL.

will it be harder than previous years or easier?

@unihopeful123: All schools expect students to accept an offer of admission at another school by May 1 and it will have no effect if you are on the waitlist.

I predict the numbers are going to be some where in between 2019 and 2020 since UCB consistently takes about 1000+ off the waitlist each year.

That’s pretty good. must be around 30% then

Unfortunately, my guess is as good (or bad) as yours! Using stats shared by @Gumbymom, the acceptance rates (off the WL) in 2020, 2019, and 2018 were ~33%, 28% and 37%, respectively, with an average of around 33%. Let’s hope the number for 2021 will be in the same ballpark!

hopefully same if not better!

1 Like

2017-2018 had 54% (which is insane)

I think that 2019-2020 is not a good representation of this year since berkeley admitted only 13.5k as opposed to greater than 14k in the other 2 years.

If it means more acceptances from the WL this year, let’s say Cheers to that!! But we can take a conservative view and say there’s at least a 33% chance.

tbh idk what the situation will be. it seem like they didn’t waitlist a bunch of people this year (compared to other schools). it can be our year or it will be a 33% chance like others are saying

Wow, fingers crossed for 2021!

That’s not true I know of like 6 people in my high school who have been waitlisted which is more than for any other uni.

in state or out of state?

Int

damn which country

from my OOS school we have 11 UCLA waitlists and 3 Berkeley Waitlists

India