UChicago = Best College for Veterans [USNWR ranking, tied #1 with Cornell]

There was a post from @BronxBorn awhile ago that linked to a news report where a school representative called UChicago the best college for veterans. Some people questioned that UChicago only enrolls 80 veterans(?) so it can’t be the best school for veterans.

Just wanted to mention that USNews is saying the same thing. That Cornell and UChicago were ranked #1 for Veterans
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/veterans

This was BronxBorns’ post: U Chicago and US Military Veterans!

USNWR’s criteria for this ranking is given at https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/best-colleges-for-veterans-methodology

Basically, the ranking is limited to colleges that:

• are certified for the GI Bill.
  • participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program or are public. Public schools or private schools with full Yellow Ribbon benefits get bonus points.
  • enrolled at least 20 full or part time undergraduates who are veterans or active-duty service member in the 2022-2023 academic year.
  • are ranked in the top half of USNWR’s general ranking for their category.

The ranking is in the same order as USNWR’s general ranking, except for the addition of bonuses listed above. The bonuses seem to be why Chicago and Cornell (tie #12 in the general ranking, tie #1 in the veterans ranking) are higher in the veterans ranking than Princeton, Stanford, and Yale, which are higher in the general ranking.

1 Like

I honestly think US Snooze and World Retort has lost a lot of their credibility in the past 12 months. Their drama-filled law, medicine, hospital rankings were a complete mess this year.

For law, they had to postpone their law ranking indefinitely because so many law schools withdrew from their ranking. Then when they published this year’s ranking using new methodology it looked pretty much exactly the same as previous year’s.
For medicine, they changed their medicine ranking’s methodology twice in the last four years and had to rescind their ranking prior to publication this time around because they received so many objections about the data they used. Harvard was especially upset they lost their coveted spot to Hopkins in the initial ranking.
For hospitals, they basically gave up ranking the top 20 hospitals…

Makes me wonder is anyone even in charge at the place…

I stopped paying attention to their undergrad ranking around 5 years ago because there’s so much data manipulation involved on part of the universities.

Some of the more “objective” rankings I recommend include
ARWU
Times Higher Education

They are obviously not without faults but at least they are clear about what they are measuring and methodology has remained identical throughout the years.

P.S. Didn’t realize US Snooze ranks so many things. Some rankings I WOULD recommend are:
US News - Best Cars
US News - Best Credit Cards
US News - Best Savings Accounts
US News - Best Airline Reward
US News - Best Vacation Destinations
US News - Best Private Student Loans
US News - Best Jobs
US News - Best Places to Retire
US News - Best Places to Live
US News - Best Assisted Living

1 Like

ARWU and THE are not undergraduate rankings though. They are the whole university. And universities that dont have as much breadth (no engineering, no classics, for example) are at a comparative disadvantage even if they are amazing otherwise.

And the whole British University bias … I feel that for it to be real, you have to discount the ranking of the British universities.

Thank you for noting!