UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

Awesome. Thanks.

sorry, off topic. Does anyone know if you can still apply and receive merit based scholarships for this fall for class of 2025?

Just noticed this update on the UCLA website. Does this mean visitors won’t even be able to walk through campus?

Only outside scholarships not sponsored by UCLA

Its “closed” per the website. But visiting will show that its anything but closed outside of the actual buildings.

1 Like

Campus is not gated so there’s no real way to stop you walking through it. I doubt they would send out campus security with instructions to stop everyone and ask them to leave if they are not performing essential activities, especially since there is constant activity around the medical center. This appears designed to discourage visitors but enforcement still seems unlikely.

When we visited last fall at a time of more severe restrictions, we even had a picnic on the grass near the steps without any problems at all, with students around us who had set up hammocks to lie in and read.

1 Like

Same thing at USC, people are visiting. I assume for political correctness they have to “not encourage” it by posting or saying don’t visit, but things are very open in Norcal and Socal overall including campuses, just not inside the buildings.

1 Like

Thank you!

We parked overnight at the campus hotel. Other option is the P8 parking structure across from it.

Anyone knows the average class size for lower division English, Pschy 10, or Sociology? Do they have 60+ students in those classes?

What’s a recommendation for a small class size GE course for incoming freshman?

English was small. My intro english class was 12 people. Still the best class I’ve ever taken in college.

Psych and soc will have alot. In general GE’s have very large sizes unless its enthomusicology which tends to be smaller. Your kid will find GE’s are very easy haha and the large or small class size doesn’t matter at all for it.

Are you trying to figure out if GEs will be in person or not? The UCLA statement that classes over 60 will likely be online was before the governor announced that, if conditions are met, California will reopen on June 15. Beyond the Blueprint.

1 Like

Thanks. Which intro english class?

Yes, I heard about the 60+ classes be online. I assume that smaller classes will be in person. Maybe not?

The UCLA video was before this Higher Ed guidance was updated. Los Angeles is currently in the orange tier but these are the tiers and limitations that are supposed to be eliminated on June 15.

English Comp 3 its for kids who did not pass out with AP English credit. Fulfills writing 1. All of the classes for english comp 3 are the same size: less than 15 people

The 60+ classes online was before Newsom said the state will open in June by then there will be no restrictions. I would plan on in person classes and having the dorms opened up. If given the option UCLA will since they are only limited by current state regulations. the housing and dining orgs on campus are hurting with the vacancies.

I’m going to follow your lead @10s4life in embedding a video, :slightly_smiling_face: (I don’t like the other emoji).

This is from Economics graduation 2012, in which Dr. Michael Burry was the keynote speaker. Undoubtedly, the best graduation speech I’ve ever heard, and it’s about 20 minutes, so it’s not a particularly short video.

Dr. Burry majored in Economics at UCLA, and then went to Vanderbilt SOM. So this shows the usefulness of an economics degree for a seemingly different professional perusal, as well as it being a short major, which allows a bunch of things attached to it as in another major like Stats, or the Specialization in Computing, or whatever else.

But his talk is also a very good lesson in economics. If anyone here has a chance, it’s a great talk, and again, the best commencement speech I’ve ever seen.

There’s a book and movie called The Big Short about him, involving the mortgage crisis of 2008.

1 Like

We are excited to announce that @lkg4answers will be taking on a new role as Co-Forum Champion for the University of California Forums. @lkg4answers and @Gumbymom will be responsible for monitoring the UC discussion threads and offering great advice about any questions our CC posters may have in regards to the UC campuses. @Ohm888 will continue to head the UC transfer forums.

Along with @10s4life, the UCLA Forum Champion, @lkg4answers, @Gumbymom, and @Ohm888 are excited to share their knowledge about the admissions and financial aid processes with the College Confidential Community.

@lkg4answers is a long time member of the CC community and a proud parent of a recent UC Davis graduate and has another student currently attending USC so please give them a warm CC hello as they take on this new role.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if there are any current students, recent alumni, or maybe parents on this forum who could answer this question, but I’m wondering how hard it actually is to register for one’s preferred courses at UCLA? (Im a pre-Econ major btw). I’ve heard mixed things, some have said that they had to declare their major late because they got screwed by course registration, others have said that course registration at worst will get you stuck with hard classes but at least you can take that class. Anyone willing to offer some insight on this?