UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

I don’t know for sure but my understanding based on friends of my son who were admitted via Herb Alpert for music (in 2021) is that the Theater program will take the lead. So Congratulations! Sounds like if they want you after the interview you’ll be in good shape!

2 Likes

Hi- Did your friend already hear of acceptance for the 2023 Fall Herb Alpert music school? If so, what music program? We are waiting to hear from the Global Jazz dept.
Thanks!

Sorry I wasn’t clear—this was 2 years ago when my son applied. He applied to the College (Undeclared) but had many friends in jazz bc he also plays jazz. They got their admissions decisions at the same time as the rest but it was clear in Zoom interviews/auditions (COVID year!) that they were definitely going to be offered admissions. Two of them ended up being awarded Regents despite not having top stats. I think if the music department (or theater, film, etc.) wants you, they make that call as long as you meet basic thresholds. He has a friend (HS class before him — 2020) whose grades were significantly lower but was admitted to Global Jazz. He’s a very good musician! Good luck!!

1 Like

What were his stats? If you don’t mind me asking of course… Thank you for all the info!!

The friend who was admitted to Global Jazz in 2020, you mean? I’m not sure, but I know he was definitely not close to a straight A student. Same for a fellow jazz musician the next year (in my son’s class) who was admitted and awarded Regents. The second Regents kid from his year at our HS was pretty close to a top student but admitted not for performance but rather to study Ethnomusicology I think. My son’s stats were strong (4.0 unweighted, maybe 4.4 capped/weighted? I don’t remember exactly) but nothing off the charts in terms of additional coursework outside of HS or anything. He was good but also very lucky to get in – for UCLA you really have to be both good and lucky, whatever your path is to getting in.

1 Like

Apparently, decisions are rolling out starting today. Since D applied close to the deadline, she won’t hear before end of this month. She gave me the info, don’t know if she received an email or what.

Did you intend to post this on a different thread? UCLA does not roll out decisions.

Are you referring to UCSC?

May be UC Merced.The decisions are out today.I don’t know if they are rolling or not.

1 Like

Could be Merced. But regardless, no UCs give decisions based on when you applied relative to the deadline so I’m thinking they just posted the comment above in the wrong forum.

2 Likes

Yes.I agree with you.

1 Like

Did anyone else get the “You belong at UCLA” email? I find it interesting that they send these prior to the admissions decisions. I am sure it’s bot-mail to all applicants but still strange.

Hard to belong at UCLA without being accepted…lol

4 Likes

Yes, both of my sons received this email. I think they’re just trying to remind people, “hey, don’t forget about us – just a few weeks more!”

1 Like

As though people are going to FORGET about UCLA…!?! :rofl:

2 Likes

My son actually did. He’s been auditioning at several colleges and universities and has already heard. Since UCLA didn’t have auditions, he kind of forgot about them. :wink:

1 Like

Auditions for what program?

1 Like

Musical Theatre

Sorry, my D’s mistake, she misread a comment: Like other UC schools, the UCLA regular decision notification date is any day between March 1 and 31 . Sorry, sorry!

1 Like

Musical Theater actually does have auditions! I applied for theater and had to submit a theater audition for UCLA.

1 Like

I meant live, in-person auditions. They don’t offer them either on campus or at unifieds. My son uploaded his videos, too.

3 Likes