UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

Was your daughter admitted to UCLA school of nursing?

Here is the link to placement exams info: Placement Exams - UCLA European Languages & Transcultural Studies

Does anyone know competitive PEERS program is and are invites sent to everyone?

1 Like

Our OOS D23 (accepted for NS) have not received the invite. Looks like a fantastic program though for NS undergrads looking to be research assistants and gain real-life exp.

1 Like

I think that’s only for first generation or otherwise disadvantaged applicants based on their website. It wouldn’t be send to everybody.

2 Likes

Did anyone else get the Statement of Educational Purpose on the provisional aid letter. The steps to verify are confusing lol

1 Like

I’m planning on attending the Freshman Summer Program (FSP). I can select any of these:
African American Studies 6, Life Science 7A, Math 94, Introductory Socialogy to count toward my major (Environmental Science).

Link to course description: New Student Programs – Academic Advancement Program

I was told to choose the course that is most impacted and hard to get during the school year. Are any of them impacted? Interesting? Easy? I don’t mind the workload, but I just want the experience to be a smooth transition. Can anyone advise me on what to choose? Or has anyone done FSP before and tell me about your experience? I’m particularly worried about housing because I have yet to select my roomate. Thank you:)

I’m looking at my Provisional Aid Letter and I don’t see that statement anywhere. However, I appreciate you pointing out that the letter was available. We didn’t get any notification emails saying this was available (or we may have just missed it).

My kid did summer LS7a in summer term before freshman year and it was academically a good experience. Socially the summer term is a mixed bag - great to get to know campus and meet people, but takes away from the last summer with friends at home (and thus may tend to select for people who are no longer wanting to be home). Smaller group of students also gives the social scene a bit of a high school vibe. Finally, once spring quarter comes around, you’ll have been there for quite a long time…

Overall as a parent I’m pleased with kid taking LS7a in the summer.

I believe the summer housing is random roommate, and is not in your fall dorm.

Does anyone know if its typically hard to enroll in your classes freshman year? or like if your able to take the classes you need.

Yes it often is difficult if you have a poor second pass time. This happens to maybe 10-20% of people. So it pays to consider various options and choose strategically what you want to select in first pass.

At orientation the individual groups (of 8 in my S’s orientation) drew straws for who registered first. The first 6 got all the classes they wanted, the last two had to be flexible.

Candidly, yes it is hard. Be ready with lots of backup plans and alternatives during enrollment sessions, be open to taking classes at undesirable times (8am classes are easier to get!), and for that first go-round during the orientation, make sure to work with the student advisor assigned to you to have them HELP you get what you want. My son was able to get his new student advisor to move things around behind the scenes to get him into his desired freshman seminar and then the rest fell into place. That’s the only time you have special help like that, so use it!

1 Like

When will fall class schedule be available?

Out of those options, definitely take LS7A. Don’t take GE courses, save those for your actual time here at UCLA. 7A is a notorious weeder course.

1 Like

Likely mid-may. Most classes that are recurring will be offered the same quarters as last year, with a few notable exceptions, such in the CS department.

1 Like

Is it true that freshman have to live in triples?

Most freshmen end up in triples - best to have that expectation. You can rank doubles higher than triples when you provide housing preference - you might get one if you get lucky.

1 Like

Is it orientation date? First Year Students - UCLA New Student Academic Programs

If taking last one or two spot, does it mean that I may miss high-demand class??? Thanks

Make sure to sign up for one of those orientation sessions as soon as they open for enrollment – they go fast, and not everybody gets one!

But do NOT worry about having one of the last sessions. UCLA sets aside spots for each orientation, particularly in classes that are in high demand for freshmen. So you aren’t advantaged to take an earlier orientation. As long as you get into one of the sessions, you’ll have an opportunity to get the classes you need!

1 Like