UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

Do you know If GE clusters are the same every year and are they hard to get into? Class sizes are huge in those clusters, correct?

You should be able to see the ones for this fall already here: Undergraduate Education Initiatives | UCLA Cluster Program

But no, they aren’t that large (they were probably the smallest lectures my son had his first year), and they fill up. If you want one (there are some students who loved their experiences, others who really didn’t – it’s a good question to ask on the UCLA Parents Facebook page or to post on Reddit), you should make it the first thing you put in your schedule during registration at Orientation. One benefit is that your enrollment is guaranteed in Winter and Spring quarters, so you can use your first pass enrollment on other classes during those enrollment periods. I recommend a student take a Cluster class that fulfills GE requirements that are unrelated to their major. For example, my son who is a social sciences major took the Evolution cluster and that knocked out all his Science GEs + his Writing II requirement, all in one fell swoop.

2 Likes

As GoldRush suggested, the clusters should be posted. Also, quick plug for clusters to all L&S majors: they are GREAT. The knock out 4 GEs in 3 quarters, give you Writing II, and potentially can knock out the diversity requirement too. Furthermore, they are easier that typical classes for more units (50% of my cluster gets an A+ every quarter), and in the Spring, you get to choose a seminar which not only takes very little time (less time than lectures in fall and winter) out of your week, but the topics are very engaging and it is taught like an upper division class with <20 people and the prof.

6 Likes

Agree, take a cluster if possible! My humanities major D22 took Life in the Cosmos this year and it’s been a great experience. The last quarter is a small seminar—my D is taking hers on gender in the Andes. The first quarter, she took a field trip to a huge telescope in the Angeles National Forest. She has gotten As both quarters so far, and has knocked out her science GEs and her Writing II. It is also a guaranteed class each quarter so she can use her first pass for her other classes. All in all, this is a huge win. Highly recommend it.

4 Likes

What do you mean a guaranteed class each quarter? Does it mean that you get priority for enrollment of one “high-demand” class? Thanks

So most people only take clusters during freshman year or during both - freshman and sophomore?

A cluster class is a commitment to a year of classes—one each quarter, fall, winter and spring. Once you sign up in the fall, it is guaranteed and automatic that you will be registered for your cluster each quarter. That means you can use your first pass to register for other classes, and fill your schedule earlier than others who have to pick 2 and wait for second pass for the 3rd/4th classes.

The only thing you won’t be guaranteed is getting the same TA. However after being shut out in spring quarter, S messaged his TA (who was much better than the others) and got a permission code for that section.

1 Like

There are two passes (randomized sets of time slots) in registration. In first pass you pick up to 10 units, then after everyone else has done the first pass, there’s a second pass where you pick any additional classes to fill up your schedule. IIRC a good time in first pass means a bad time in second pass and vice versa.

It’s a delicate balancing act: you really want to ensure you get your major pre-requisites in first pass, so GEs usually end up in second pass. Doing a cluster in the fall means you will be guaranteed to get that class in winter and spring.

1 Like

Cluster courses are only for freshmen. The one mistake my son made was not using his first pass to pick the Spring quarter small writing course, so he ended up in a group and with a TA that was not the one he wanted. The first two quarters are the same for all. Then you have a small, specialized area of study for Spring Quarter.

I wish my son had not had to do his last year during COVID because they missed the field trips (I think it’s the same one that @Wjs1107 is describing above, Cluster 70, “Evolution”), but he is still so glad he took it. All his science GEs were done by the end of the year.

3 Likes

My question is if kids are registering in July during their freshman orientation, will UCLA make sure to process all DE credits beforehand. Mine will need classes that have prerequisites that he has already taken at a CC.

Mine didn’t have DE credits but all of her AP credits were processed by her orientation in early August.

Yes, they get ready for each group of kids prior to their orientation so that they do a full degree audit with their new student advisor.

2 Likes

That’s wonderful!

1 Like

Do kids study together in groups? I have heard that due to the way UCLA grades (curve is what matters), kids are very competitive toward each other and won’t help each other. Is that true?

Mine has not experienced that. She’s an English and History double major. She has gotten notes, studied together with classmates, made friends in her classes. Her closest friends are mostly stem majors who live on her floor, I’ll ask her if they think it’s different.

Most commonly, my daughter studies in the lounge on her floor with her friend.

ETA: My daughter says it is competitive but they aren’t jerks and they do study together in the stem classes.

1 Like

@Medea1 Due to large number of students, they are not able to apply AP and dual enrollment credits on the system before the orientation for all students. Last year, they recommended that students bring printouts (or show online to NSA) the completed college courses. This happens during orientation on the 2nd day. The NSA along with college advisor ensures all credits are updated so that students can pick relevant courses on the 3rd day when course selection happens.

Good point, maybe I’m remembering wrong. But the relevant info is exactly what you say. They will help you do an audit with all the info so you are good by the time you register for classes :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Yes. Kids do study and collaborate with their friends. Remember quarters are short and not all their friends may be in the same classes. If students like to study with peers, they should make an effort to connect with others in their class and form study groups.
There are also peer tutoring sessions where students can get tips and techniques from their seniors to succeed in a class.
It is not a cut-throat environment where students refuse to help each other.

4 Likes

Applied Maths at UCI and UCLA

Our son is admitted and considering applied math undergrad at either UCI or UCLA campus. (UCB was also an option but focusing on the SoCal ) He also received a regents scholarship at UCI. While both the applied math programs at UCLA and UCI are considered strong and comprehensive, there are differences in the specific offerings and opportunities available to students. UCLA has better brand recognition, and probably more opportunities but with regents scholarship students do get additional benefits. Any inputs and insights are appreciated about how to weigh options between UCLA and UCI (with Regent). Thanks in Advance -