UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

Awesome school just very hard to get in both Instate and OOS.

7 Likes

Very true with these overall 2022 admit rates:

Campus CA RESIDENT OUT OF STATE INTERNATIONAL
Los Angeles 9.2% 8.8% 5.8%
8 Likes

And even tougher than that in some majors. It’s pretty much a gamble with long odds for all.

3 Likes

Hey @tamagotchi … good to see you over on this page too! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!

We are in CA, so of course I’m here… along with many thousands of others!

(I expect this year will be no different, and UCLA will again have received more applications than any other school in the country… :crazy_face:)

1 Like

Fingers crossed that both of our students receive an acceptance … and if so, I’d rather pay your tuition bill than ours!

1 Like

Has anyone gotten the supplemental essay (augmented review) email yet?

1 Like

wdym…
What major do you have, maybe the email dependent?

I haven’t

@David_D
Only a small percentage of UC applicants will be asked for an augmented review and it is dependent upon the reasons below. Also not all UC campuses will ask for an augmented/supplemental review.

The criteria for referring an applicant for Augmented Review include the following:

1. Evidence of focus on an area of special talent which may have limited a student’s time to participate in a broader range of activities.
  2. Evidence of character traits that imply a strong likelihood of making a significant contribution to campus life.
  3. Evidence of significant academic achievement or the potential for academic achievement at the University in spite of extraordinary or compound disadvantage or learning difference, or physical disability or other unusual circumstances.
  4. Evidence of significant improvement in the academic record accompanied by one or both of the following: (1) reasons for the initial poor performance; and (2) sustained and in-depth participation in educational outreach programs, which demonstrate the applicant’s commitment to succeed academically within a challenging environment.
  5. Evidence of relative lack of access to, counseling about, or support to take college preparatory, honors, Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes or required college entrance examinations.

https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/2110.html

@madelyncline are asking since you have been selected for the augmented review or expect to receive it?

2 Likes

It definitely seems to be a very small percentage for UCLA. For fall 2021 admission, it looks like approximately 3.4% of UCLA applicants were referred for Augmented Review (according to the May 2022 BOARS report).

2 Likes

I did not see any postings on CC or Reddit that stated they received an augmented review from UCLA for the 2002 admission cycle and since the numbers are very low for 2021, perhaps they are no longer utilizing this review??

Updated: Glad to see that UCLA is still sending out augmented reviews starting today.

1 Like

Thanks for responding! I was hoping to receive it since I had a major trend up in grades (Freshman year [3.4] —> Junior/Senior year [4.5]) due to some extenuating circumstances (my parents business almost going bankrupt due to the pandemic and having to work like 40 hours a week on top of school). I also wrote the life challenge essay about that which I read sometimes yields the augmented review depending on the nature of the challenge.

My school’s college counselor said she helped a couple people last year with it so I think they’re still utilizing it. Maybe not as many people are getting it due to the sheer volume of applicants?

1 Like

Here’s what UCLA said in the BOARS report, plus the table showing demographics of students that were part of this process for fall 2021. Given what they chose to present in the table, I am guessing that increasing URM enrollment might be one of the goals here?

BOARS report link here: https://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/_files/committees/boars/boars-cr-report-may-2022.pdf

… UCLA utilizes a Supplemental/Augmented Review process. This process allows UCLA to collect additional information from the student and conduct an additional application review for candidates that present particular circumstances or talents. These circumstances/elements may include special talents in particular areas, having achieved despite severe hardship, or significant lack of access to educational resources or support, as a few examples.

3 Likes

Thanks for this, the chart is very useful and has way more info then on Reddit haha. Some very interesting info here.

3 Likes

It seems like there’s a much higher acceptance rate then without it… So hopefully I get it!

Seems like people on Reddit are starting to get the augmented review email

1 Like

what is augmented review for again?