UCLA Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

I would guess that “rolling” simply means that they release decisions gradually, not all at the same time. I am sure that it does not have anything to do with who accepted the waitlist first.

They will gradually admit students until they have filled the class. Then they will close the waitlist and notify students who were not accepted.

4 Likes

Son got off the wait list this morning for freshman class fall 2023. Guessing more students will hear during the next few weeks.
4.86 gpa with crazy rigorous course load
community college classes
AP scholar with Distinction
tons of EC’s- got awards for his volunteer service
Varsity athlete 4 years
part time job

5 Likes

Congrats, Which major he got in UCLA?

I’m confused about why UCLA is admitting waitlist students prior to the SIR deadline. Their yield rate is usually 50%; how do they already know they won’t hit that? It’s not like when students commit to one school, they notify the others; colleges have to wait until May 1st to see who’s actually coming. Right?

UCLA like all the UC’s have years of data to determine if they are on target to meet their enrollment goal and where those numbers should be this close to the May 1 deadline.

The waitlist admits have been slowly trickling out so not many students have been admitted so far.

5 Likes

What major?

In state or oos?

Did he write a LOCI or just list semester grades and any new EC’s?

Per the attached link, note that only last year did UCLA’s freshman admissions yield rate hit 50%. While UCLA’s yield rate has been creeping up in recent years, the 10-year average yield rate for freshman admissions at UCLA is 39.4%.

UCLA admissions link:
https://apb.ucla.edu/campus-statistics/admissions

2 Likes

I’m thinking–and this must have happened for just a very few students–that perhaps an unexpected # of admitted students went to their portal and hit “decline” in the past few weeks, for just say a particular small-ish major or perhaps filling a particular niche “need” for UCLA. The usual example is let’s say a violinist in their orchestra. Let’s say UCLA offered 10 fabulous violinists a spot but they ALL declined and SIRd to Stanford instead. Now UCLA suddenly has a real NEED to fill that spot ASAP. Or they won’t have a violinist at all. Hence the early, pre-May 1 admits from the waitlist. Am I on the right track?

2 Likes

Does the statistics mean that UCLA admits nearly half of its students from the waitlist?

Not necessarily. Early WL movement can be planned by some colleges: let’s say they want 100 kids, they know they usually have 50% yield. They admit 200. They wouldn’t know until after May 1 where their yield was for sure, but if only 50 kids said yes with one week to go they might know they are running short compared to previous, and let in some from WL. But this plan runs the risk of 50 more kids from the original 200 suddenly saying yes very close to May1 and then the college is overenrolled because they have already let in 20 from the waitlist thinking they were tracking low. However. Some school’s definitely “plan” to use the WL before May 1, with less guesswork and less risk of overenrollment: they always take some off. They want 100, they know they get about 50% yield, they admit 150 planning to run short so then if they yield “on track” 75 will say yes by May1 and they will have planned to need 25 more. As long as it doesnt look like they will get way more than 75 from the initial 150, they confidently start offering spots mid April to the 25 they need…maybe only 12 at first: some schools are very savvy and call the counselor to assess interest very early and there is a verbal offer made before they officially let someone off the list. That way they can only make the real offer to someone that is close to 100% likely to take it. They may have to reach out to 40-50 to get the 25 they want, but they only make an official offer to 26(there is always that one or two who were sure they’d commit but go revisit and nope), so now their overall yield is 100/176 which is higher than the college’s original model of 100/200. This , or versions of it, is how the WL is used to boost yield. And it is done extremely well and surprisingly early and somewhat behind-the scenes for many top colleges.

3 Likes

So, almost there is no hope for engineering waitlisters. My daughter regrets spending a lot of time writing the LOCI.

1 Like

My son received an email Friday morning at 7:39am with an update to his UCLA admission portal. He was accepted to Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science with Electrical Engineering as his major. His UW GPA 3.88, weighted GPA 4.58. Instate. Updated first semester grades and wrote a “why UCLA” in his LOCI. Talked about engineering clubs, research opportunities, career recruitment opportunities, and also involvement in club sports on campus.

9 Likes

Congrats​:clap::clap::clap: My daughter wrote similar things in the LOCI. However, she applied mechanical eng. Being an international she might have less chance than in state. Do you think the admissions come on particular days or randomly?

Thank you. Good Luck to your daughter.

This makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanation! No doubt they have sophisticated data modeling. UCLA admitted nearly double its capacity this year – they offered freshmen admission to just under 12,000 students, and I think the class size is around 6k, correct? Exclusive of transfers?

1 Like

Very interesting how the admits seem to all be in-state, when in past years it is almost exclusively OOS/internationals who get admitted first… really happy for those in state, but hope UCLA didn’t meet their OOS limit as someone who is OOS on the waitlist

2 Likes

how do you know that admitted 12K - is that data out already?

Congratulations! Are you guys accepting?

No, that data is not out yet. The poster who cited that is likely basing the ballpark 12K estimate on last year’s 12,844 acceptances, and 6,462 enrollees for UCLA.

All UC campuses typically publish the accepted class data on the same day as part of a coordinated news release with the UC Office of the President. The dates have varied in recent years, but usually the accepted class data for each UC campus will be published in the mid-July to August timeframe.

2 Likes

Thank you and yes we paid his deposit and sent the SIR. He feels incredibly lucky.

2 Likes