UCLA vs. UCSD for engineering

<p>I got accepted in Mechanical engineering for both these schools, and the warren college honors program for UCSD. I plan on switching to either computer science or computer science and engineering. As of right now I think there is a good chance I will go to grad school but I’m not sure.</p>

<p>Taking everything into account; including research opportunities, prestige, engineering program, and campus life; which university should I go to? Also, how easily I will be able to switch majors is important.</p>

<p>I’ve heard UCLA’s engineering program is better but UCSD is rising very quickly and could soon surpass UCLA. I’ve also heard UCLA has a much better campus life. Are these true?</p>

<p>btw I’ve visited both campuses. I like UCSD’s campus a little bit more but they’re both pretty equal. The financial aid at each school is about the same.</p>

<p>well actually ucsd is now better ranked then ucla in engineering as far as my sources show...ucsd is ranked 11th in the country for engineering...</p>

<p>Not sure how reliable this is, but:</p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ARWU-FIELD2007/ENG.htm%5Dfield%5B/url"&gt;http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ARWU-FIELD2007/ENG.htm]field[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>In terms of the overall engineering department, UCLA ranks higher than UCSD (but the difference is small). Both campuses and surrounding areas offer many internships/research programs and etc. In terms of campus life, UCLA tends to be more social and lively (simply because it is located in Los Angeles - the 2nd largest city in U.S.).
So the rankings are pretty much on the same academic field, so you choose a school in which you think you'll be happier at. San Diego and Los Angeles have their differences. But if you're going to switch to Computer Science and Engineering, I honestly think UCLA is the better choice (simply because there are more tech-related companies in LA than SD - so you can get more internships/job opportunities).</p>

<p>US</a> Best Undergraduate Engineering Program 2008 | Good University Ranking Guide
And here's the rankings by US News and World Report: World's</a> Best Colleges: Top Engineering and IT Schools - US News and World Report</p>