UC's in General, but mainly UCSC vs UCR

Agree with most of what you said above…Northern California coastal location near silicon valley and computer science favors UCSC. The first new Medical School in California in 50 years at UC Riverside (Thomas Haider Program is popular and brutal), and one of the few with Business Administration (my major back in the day) would favor UCR although you can really do well at any UC. UC Riverside has surpassed UC Santa Cruz nationally on US News 2021 ranks ( #88 national rank (UCR), #97 national rank (UCSC-tied with Merced now)) although US News is mostly just window dressing. UC Riverside is closer to the desert (Palm Springs about an hour away), but the climate is actually more like the interior valleys of California. A number of Northern California students at UC Riverside say the climate is very similar to Sacramento but not as cold or foggy in the winter. Is best to research the specific majors at each college and take a tour of each location as well to make the final decision…you cannot go wrong at either one!

1 Like

This thread seems inactive since last October, but it’s exactly the question on my mind. My son is accepted to UCR and waitlisted at UCSC, which is a lot closer to us, and our preference. I’m curious to hear from anyone who would prefer UCR and why. I am not originally from California, and if you had asked me 30 years ago, I don’t think I would have made any distinction between the two. If anything, I had met more researchers from UCR and held Riverside in high regard.