UCSB Economics vs UCI Business Economics

Hello, I recently got off the UCI waitlist for Business Economics major. I submitted by SIR for UCSB Economics. So the question is is it better to major in Economics at UC Santa Barbara or Business Economics at UC Irvine?

better for what?

Since SB offers several business-type classes, not sure I see much of a difference between the two.

If you are asking whether the major label will make a difference in job prospects, the answer is No.

Choose whichever campus that you like better.

I got my undergrad degree from UCSB in Bus Econ and my MBA from the UCI Merage school of business so this question sort of stuck out. Both are great schools and you cant go wrong with either. Note that UCI Merage school of business started an undergrad business program about 5 years ago or so. The MBA program has been around much longer. I am not sure if students in the school of economics can also take classes at the UCI Merage School but probably - you would need to check. That would be a positive for UCI. However, after being at both schools, I would probably give UCSB the slight edge on undergraduate campus life. Either way you are in a great position to choose between two really solid programs. Good luck on your decision! Go Gauchos and go Anteaters !

1 Like

UCSB has the econ accounting program if you are thinking of pursuing accounting and or a CPA license. The Big 4 firms recruit heavily there.