UCSB(engineering) vs UCLA(math)

<p>So my top two colleges are UCLA and UCSB. I really want to be an engineer, but only UCSB accepted me in it, And I really want to go to ucla, I was thinking of going to UCSB for two years then transfer to ucla, but people are telling me to go strait to ucla. I dont know whats a better choice. </p>

<p>I think if you want to be an engineer you had better go where you were accepted as an engineer. I like UCSB a lot, and am biased, but I actually did transfer from UCSB to UCLA myself for non school related reasons, so I have reason to like both of the schools. UCSB is higher rated than UCLA in some of the engineering areas, by the way, but of course I don’t know what kind of an engineer you want to be. Still, UCSB is VERY good in that area.</p>

<p>I recently told someone who was accepted at Cal Poly in engineering and only accepted in econ at UCSB to go to Cal Poly as well. It is very hard to transfer into engineering at a UC that is good at engineering, and you can’t count on doing it at UCLA. If you don’t mind majoring in math until graduation, of course, that is different. </p>

<p>So, what kind of engineering are we talking about?</p>

<p>im majoring in mechanical engineering at UCSB. Wouldnt it be easier to transfer to UCLA Engineering if im already in engineering at UCSB?</p>

<p>Probably, but I think the UCs prefer transfers from community colleges. Apart from THAT, yeah, I would think so, but I don’t know if you mean would it be easier than from inside UCLA from math. I would think yes because you could have gotten some of the otherwise impacted classes out of the way before coming, in your first two years (UCSB is really good about making sure their engineering students get the classes they need). Which might make it easier to fit you in. However, that is just speculation. The main point is that you would already be in mechanical engineering at UCSB, and no matter what, you would have that. And UCSB is really really good at mechanical engineering. </p>

<p>The latest NRC rankings were in 2010, so this isn’t a citation to an old ranking:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p><a href=“UCSB Mechanical Engineering Ranked in Top 10 by NRC | Mechanical Engineering - UC Santa Barbara”>UCSB Mechanical Engineering Ranked in Top 10 by NRC | Mechanical Engineering - UC Santa Barbara;

<p>hmm interesting. so what seems easier, transfering from ucsb to ucla as an engineer, or changing to a engineer major already at ucla?</p>

<p>I don’t know. I suspect from UCSB because one reason they don’t take more engineering students at UCLA is because of impacted classes, and if you have already taken those, the problem goes away. However, I don’t know. If UCLA diploma is the most important thing to you, you should go to UCLA. If engineering is the most important thing to you, you should go to UCSB. That would be my opinion.</p>

<p>alright, thanks so much, i feel much more relaxed now</p>

<p>You should check the transfer rates from to UCLA engineering(even from CC). I remember reading it was less than 1% or the kid had 4.0 GPA</p>

<p>@DrGoogle I agree, he can’t count on transferring, whether to the major, if he goes to UCLA, or to the major from UCSB. That is why I was saying he has to decide which is more important, Mechanical Engineering, or UCLA, since it is very hard to transfer into engineering.</p>

<p>However, it looks like 17.75, not 1%, but that was in 2011 I’ll look for something more recent. <a href=“http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_tr/Tr_Prof11.htm”>http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_tr/Tr_Prof11.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>ok 7.12% for fall 2013 <a href=“http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/Adm_tr/Tr_Prof13.htm”>http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/Adm_tr/Tr_Prof13.htm&lt;/a&gt; however, the decrease in admit percentage between 2011 and 2013 is pretty stark…</p>

<p>but while not broken out for major, the transfers to UCLA from other UCs was 21% about, which is about the same % as their rate for freshmen that year, I believe. CC transfers were admitted at a 28% rate, which isn’t really as far ahead of transfers from the other UCs as I thought it would be.</p>

<p>Using the above link Computer Science is 1.2%, 6 out of 501.</p>

<p>@DrGoogle he said engineer, not one specific one, I didn’t calculate CS in particular, I just looked at the raw engineering transfer admit percentage. But either way, it is a hard row to hoe and nothing to count on in choosing a school. I looked at transfer requirements and they put out a publication on it every year. There was also a link in one place on how for UCLA students to try to get in, but only UCLA students seem able to open it (I got a forbidden error message). But the publication about transfers didn’t even mention anything except coming in as a freshman or as a transfer from a different college. It did say you are expected to fulfill all pre reqs before transferring, which I figured would be the case.</p>

<p>My own recommendation was to not count on being able to transfer.</p>

<p>Oops. After reading so many threads about CS, I thought he was asking about CS.</p>

<p>maybe he was, since he didn’t specify…</p>

<p>But he’s in ME at UCSB so I assumed it was what he applied for at UCLA.</p>

<p>and ME appears to be a massive 13% transfer admit rate… </p>

<p>If you’re set on engineering, go to UCSB. You need to do well in pre-reqs to transfer to SEAS if you’re in L&S at UCLA, which is possible but why put yourself through the uncertainty.</p>