UCSD vs USC vs Tufts/Vanderbilt for Economics/Political Science/IR

My son’s academic interests are in Economics, Political Science, and International Relations. He got acceptance from UCSD for International Studies (Economics) and USC for PPE (Philosophy, Politics, Economics). He is waitlisted at Tufts, Vanderbilt.

A couple of questions:

• Between UCSD and USC, which program stands out for Research opportunities, Alumni and professional networking, and getting into Masters/PhD program?

• if he gets off the waitlist for Tufts and/or Vanderbilt, how does they compare with UCSD and USC for the above criteria?

• UCSD in-state total cost of attendance is ~$35K whereas USC is $90K, Tufts/Vanderbilt is ~$80K. Are there significant advantages in USC/Tufts/Vanderbilt which does justify this additional $45K to $55K?

That’s a lot of money you save with UCSD, which is well known and prestigious itself.

The one thing you do hear as a negative about ucsd is that it’s not the most fun school, not the most social place in the traditional college sense. that may or may not be a big deal to your kid. But academically and in terms of opportunities I think it will more than hold its own compared to your pricier options.

1 Like

Agree. This is what we are hearing as well. My son is not into sports, but he does like other extracurricular activities like Debate, Film/Theater, Hiking, etc. One thing that we are exploring is if UCSD offers enough extra-curricular outside sports.

Anyone has thoughts on the extra-curricular (outside sports) activities at UCSD?

Hiking trails: 2023 Best trails in University Of California San Diego Park | AllTrails

Speech and Debate: https://speechdebate.ucsd.edu/

Film and Theatre: Performances
UCSD Students – ArtPower

https://students.ucsd.edu/student-life/involvement/
https://studentlife.ucsd.edu/

Plenty of things for students to do in and around the La Jolla/San Diego area. There will be no lack of EC’s at UCSD.

3 Likes

UCSD without question

Of the four.

UCSD can be fun - yes it has serious students but so do all four.

Why UCSD ?

The major is interdisciplinary - tough to get a gig. My daughter chose her school over heavyweights - not for money but because she felt at home. How does yours feel at each ?

And UCSD IR at the grad level is extremely well respected - which typically translates below.

If they’re going to have the language your student wants to study (make sure they have it), I’d choose it over the other three straight up.

That’s a lot of chunk change for no guarantees from any of them in an interdisciplinary major.

My daughter will be in DC this fall through the u of SC Honors program. She goes to Charleston but all the SC schools go through U of SC. Their website says their residence is owned by U of CA. UCSD has a similar program.

Good luck. Now you can retire, make a house down payment or a really nice trip :slight_smile:

UCSD is not just STEM. And there’s a ton to do in America’s finest city. And it’s in a gorgeous part!!

Edit - any of the four and frankly any school will lead to a grad degree. And research can be done at most schools. A student needs to ask. Many schools post opportunities. Or students find research they are interested in and ask a professor to participate in their program. That’s not an issue at these four or most anywhere. So from your extras I see no advantages at one over the others.

https://catalog.ucsd.edu/curric/UCDC.html

Both USC and UCSD are big universities. If your student is one to make an effort to meet people and to join clubs and orgs, they will be fine. If they are the type to wait for others to approach them, they may struggle socially.

When you mention alumni network, you probably already know the answer. USC’s Trojan Network is extensive. That said, your student can’t kick back and assume they will have a job waiting for them when they graduate. Just like at any other school, they need to attend career fairs, apply for internships, send out numerous resumes and wait as they are ghosted by most companies.

1 Like

Thank you. This is very helpful. Great to know UCSD has these opportunities.

Thank you for your detailed response. This is very encouraging. One quarter in DC is indeed something my son will enjoy. Thanks for pointing this out.

Got it. Thank you.

One more related question, my son is waitlisted at UCLA as well. Chances of getting off the waitlist is low, but in case he does get off the waitlist… How does UCSD compare with UCLA as far as extracurricular, alumni network is concerned…

1 Like

I’d give up on the wait list schools. The actual chances of getting in are miniscule. Concentrate on USC vs UCSD.

I agree with @DadOfOneSon that the UCLA should not be in the conversation but there also plenty of opportunities at UCLA so you can always do some research just in case.

If you want one of the better Alumni networks, then USC will probably win hands down.

The UC’s are large and as a student you need to advocate for yourself, no hand holding and it will be up to the student to make and find their own opportunities. That really can be said for any school. There are resources at all these schools that will help a student be successful but they need to seek them out.

Yeah, I agree that chances of getting off the waitlist are very low…But the time to accept the offer after getting off the waitlist is 2-3 days, so keeping this information ready…But immediate priority is UCSD vs USC

Got it. Thank you so much for all your responses.

100% follow the money. All of the likely paths for your son will want lots of no/low paid internships, followed by a very poorly paid job followed by (expensive) grad school followed by OK paid jobs. Getting started on these paths means being able to afford to do these internships and early career jobs… and that’s where you can make a bigger difference to his career than the difference between any of these schools. Being able to front the money to underwrite a summer internship on the Hill or in the Hague during college (and the professional clothes that will be required), being able to provide the lump sump for first/last/deposit on a place to live for that first job, or paying for that MPP similar will make a seriously meaningful difference.

1 Like

What type of graduate program? Be careful of PPE type programs if grad school is a consideration (especially if Econ). You sometimes don’t get the depth needed to be competitive for a grad program.

1 Like

Alumni networks in general are far overrated - in my opinion. You hear about the great Penn State network and I know of people who strike out, even reaching out. That’s a lot of extra to pay for - I hope their alums will help me.

One thing to look at is - does the school have a special program?

We didn’t know when accepted but my daughters’s school has the Mroz Institute. Not only do they bring in diplomats, they also get mentors. My daughter has two - one of which is an alum that works as a speech writer of some sort in DC. The other is a career agency person who is retired.

These alumni folks aren’t just going to give your kid a job. Each school likely will provide access to some folks to help mentor. It may be profs or career professionals. They guide. But they’re not getting you hired

But my daughter is an International Scholar at her school and that comes with enrichment. Do any of these schools offer enrichment ? To her she likes the extra access to speakers or seminars, etc.

That said, it’s a no brainer given this major that you should save the $$. You’re lucky to get rejected at Vandy and Tufts to take them out of the equation because, and money has different connotation to each family…but when you see salaries and outcomes in the field…be glad to save !!

And I get this feeling that you think that UCSD is a school that lacks in ‘fun’ outside of class.

I think it’s safe to say that this thought is far off base !! It’s a great get - especially for an IS major And their grad program in IR is strong and that will bleed down.

Congrats to your student.

Ps for the WL - UCLA did let 367 off last year of 11,169 on it and 16k+ offered.

But yes pick your school, fall in love and don’t hope. I personally think all the ranking stuff is way overrated and don’t see UCSD as inferior at all to UCLA. You need to study each program and what they offer - and not just take a rank or perception.

Best of luck.

Preparation for economics PhD study would mean:

• More advanced math and statistics than is typically included in economics or related majors. Examples include real analysis, upper level linear algebra, and probability theory.
  • Choosing the most math intensive versions of intermediate economics and econometrics courses available.

The above can be done in various majors, but is typically not something that colleges have undergraduate majors tailored to (UCLA math economics may be an undergraduate major that is close to that), so the pre-PhD student would have to choose electives with that in mind.

3 Likes

USC Dornslife has a Progressive Degree Program where he could do a masters in 5 years. It means an extra year of tuition for the masters, but it is better than two years.

The UCs have UCDC which may be what @tsnba44 is referring to. USC Dornslife has a similar program.