Ud nursing

<p>Just how competitive is it to get into University of Delaware's nursing program for out of state students?</p>

<p>It is much easier to get admitted as a non-nursing major than as a nursing major.</p>

<p>It was the only college where my daughter did not get into the nursing program. She did get into Penn State’s program, which is known to be very competitive. (FYI - Penn State doesn’t give any preference to in-state students in admission, unlike U. Del.)</p>

<p>While it is true that UD does give some preference to in-state applicants the number of such applicants for the Nursing Program is relatively small as Delaware is a small state and in-state applicants for Nursing are held to a higher standard for acceptance into the Nursing Program as compared to most other majors at UD. In point of fact the freshman Nursing class at UD is usually made up of 2/3rds OOS (80-90) students. As UD has been developing into one of the top undergraduate Nursing Programs on the East coast the number of OOS applicants has become very large, has been increasing every year, and the competition has become increasingly intense. As a result the OOS acceptance rate for Nursing is now probably below 20%. I would estimate that to be minimally competitive for OOS acceptance for Nursing an applicant would need to have stats in the the range of SAT scores of 1900-2000 and a GPA of 3.75/4.0 (including a lot of Honors/AP etc. courses). While certainly at least some OOS applicants have been accepted with lower stats it would probably be a reach (but not necessarily impossible). Nursing and Chemical Engineering are the two most competitive majors for admission for OOS students to UD. Good luck.</p>

<p>What other nursing programs are udel similar to?</p>

<p>Similar quality direct entry Nursing Programs on the East Coast would include such schools as BC, Northeastern, UConn, UMass, NYU, Rutgers, Pitt, Penn State, UPenn, Villanova, Georgetown, UVA, UNC, and UMiami.</p>

<p>Some of those private universities or out of state publics offer a large amount of need or merit based aid, but others do not. If you would not be eligible for large amounts of aid, I wouldn’t spend 35 to 45K a year on tuition (plus room and board) for a nursing degree when there are plenty of less expensive options out there. Save some of your money and/or debt capacity for grad school.</p>

<p>By the way, UNC-Chapel Hill is not direct entry.</p>

<p><a href=“http://nursing.unc.edu/academics/bachelor-of-science-in-nursing/first-degree-admissions-information/[/url]”>http://nursing.unc.edu/academics/bachelor-of-science-in-nursing/first-degree-admissions-information/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>UNC-CH is almost impossible for admissions for out of state students because they severely restrict the percentage. For the university as a whole, UNC-CH admits a lower percentage of out of state applicants than UVa (which is probably the toughest public university in the country for overall undergrad admissions).</p>

<p>It is also important to consider cost of living. DC, Boston and NYC are extremely expensive places to live. Many students who attend college in those cities rack up extra debt just paying for housing, particularly if there are not affordable on-campus choices for upperclassmen.</p>

<p>I’d also wonder whether any of those programs care more about their graduate programs than their undergrad programs.</p>

<p>Thank you charlieschm for pointing out the UNC is not a direct entry Nursing Program. This was a misperception on my part due to apparently incorrect information I had been given by someone in the program there. As Rhett Butler said in GWTW “I apologize for all my shortcomings”.</p>

<p>There obviously are many factors to take into consideration when exploring where to attend college, with cost certainly being an important one for many applicants combined with one’s career goals in Nursing. The colleges I listed are national major research universities so their programs tend to be slightly skewed to a more academic/research orientation in order to best prepare a number of their students for Nursing Grad studies and careers in Academic Nursing and Research. However, they also provide an excellent clinical education for those students whose career path is geared toward functioning as an RN without plans for further grad studies. There are many other high quality Nursing Programs that tend to emphasize a more clinical orientation (with certainly some degree of overlap). I am not trying to imply that the Programs I listed are “better” than other Nursing Programs, only that they tend to have a slightly different curriculum focus and therefore might be a more appropriate consideration for some applicants. Nursing Grad Programs are keenly aware of the above and where one completes their undergrad degree can have a bearing on an admission decision at some Nursing Grad Schools (I am not saying that this is the only factor). </p>

<p>Best wishes to all applicants.</p>

<p>When I toured there in September the admissions counselor told me OOS students have an acceptance rate of 3%. Yikes.</p>

<p>I believe the 3% acceptance rate you were told is not accurate. From my sources at UD the OOS acceptance rate for Nursing is in the neighborhood of 15-20%. It has been steadily decreasing however, as the number of OOS applicants has been steadily increasing. Around 2/3rds of the freshman Nursing class (80-90 students) are from OOS.</p>

<p>was just accepted to UD nursing as an OOS!</p>

1 Like

<p>Congrats Teekarex!!!</p>

1 Like