Uh-Oh!

<p>I might be moving to Denmark which means i'll have to take IB (or learn Danish). How hard would it be for a freshie who is in grade level courses in America??</p>

<p>IB is a very rigorous program. I’m not sure how much you know about it so here’s a brief breakdown of what you should expect:
3 higher level classes (2 year courses)
3 standard level classes (2 year courses)
theory of knowledge (TOK) class and an essay
extended essay (EE)-4000 words on a subject of your choice
CAS hours (community, action, service) 50 hours in each for a total of 150 hours outside of school
Internal assessments in each subject (IA’s are an assignment set by the IB office (IBO) that are graded by your teacher and moderated by an examiner to make sure that your teacher graded fairly–usually it’s an essay of some sort)
Several mock examination sessions to give you a “prediction” (since you take the exams after you apply to universities, you can send them these predicted scores)
Examinations in May of Year 2 in each subject you have taken</p>

<p>You’ll have to take a class in each core subject (math, science, english, foreign language, social studies) plus an additional class of your choice.</p>

<p>IB is a lot of work no matter what, but there are definitely classes you can take that are less work than others. For example, SL math studies is a really really easy class so if math isn’t your strong suit then you can go for that. Economics has a tough syllabus but tends to give less homework than history and psychology. </p>

<p>As a freshman in all grade-level courses, you’re going to need some adjustment, but with support from your parents and teachers and hard work there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to do well in IB. The most important thing is really to manage your time and make sure you stay on top of deadlines or you will get lost.
The good news is that IB does not start until junior year, so you’ll be able to adjust to the new settings and prepare yourself for the workload during sophomore year.</p>

<p>I know the position you find yourself in, I moved in my junior year from the states to Greece and had to do the IB program. As a Year 2 student, I can say that it’s a lot of work but it’s worthwhile–definitely prepares you for college and definitely helps you to get into college!</p>

<p>tldr; The IB is a tough program but its manageable</p>

<p>Good luck with everything!!!</p>