UIUC vs UW decision

<p>Hi, I've been stuck with an extremely difficult decision for a while. I am currently attending a local college near where I'm living (Dixon, Illinois). I'm in a college transfer program that involves getting my general electives completed to earn my Associate's degree and then transfer to a four year college to focus my major and Bachelor's degree. In addition to my general electives and some major classes, I need to complete classes that are required by the college I plan to transfer to.</p>

<p>My major is Business/Accounting. </p>

<p>I want to attend the University of Madison, Wisconsin simply because I'm fond of the area. I was a natural born Wisconsin resident that has been living in Illinois from the age of 4 to now (21 years old). Most of my relatives reside in Madison and I've been visiting Madison and the Union/Campus my whole life (my dad attended the UW). I also want to live and work in Madison. The only issue is that it costs $34,000 a year to attend the UW. Another option would be attending Edgewood college which has a much lower cost to attend although it is private and only has a student body around 2,000. I could also live in the area for a year to become a Wisconsin resident again then attend the University.</p>

<p>The other option is attending the University of Urbana Champaign, Illinois. This university is ranked #2 in the nation for Accounting and has a very good business front. I also hear that many big four recruiters come in to recruit. The campus is very large, very scenic, and holds the largest University library in the world, but lacks the lakes that the UW has (both colleges are very scenic). The cost to attend the college would be cheaper than attending a college in Wisconsin as well. The biggest problem is after graduating because I don't know if I want to continue working/living in Illinois. </p>

<p>My brother's girlfriend is currently in the same college I am with the same transfer program. She also plans on transferring to the UW and my brother plans on tagging along with her even though he wont be attending college. I will be pretty aggravated if he gets a free ride to Madison while I'm still in Illinois. I guess I've never been to Champaign, IL though and it could be a nice area. </p>

<p>What is more important, going to a college that has prestigious renown towards one's major or attending a college for the sake of being able to work and live in an area? I just feel like Illinois will never feel like home and living in Madison has always been my goal/plan.</p>

<p>Sounds like you have a pretty tough decision ahead of you. I’m assuming you have been admitted to both schools? First thing you need to look at is how important is the $$ situation. Will you be taking on loans if you attend UW? Also, it’s important you know that there will be a tuition hike over the next couple years of about 7500$ I believe so it’s important you know that before deciding.</p>

<p>Concerning business/accounting, I would say both schools are excellent in this regard and you can’t go wrong with either. You mentioned UIUC has #2 in accounting, but what if you decide you don’t like accounting and switch to a different focus? Both schools have excellent business programs so I wouldn’t let one specific program sway you decision too much because they are both great.</p>

<p>As far as fit, this can be quite important if money is not a big factor. If you want to live in Wi after college, it might be wise to take residence there, take a gap year and work, then go to school for much cheaper. As far as the two campuses are concerned, I’m not sure if you have visited UIUC, but it’s pretty rural and farmish when compared to Madison. I much prefer UW’s campus and it sounds as if you do too.</p>

<p>You mentioned wanting to work in Madison or Wi after graduation and I think either college would suit you well there. They are both from the Midwest and well regarded I think. Obviously they might prefer a Badger over an Illini, but overall I’d say they are both fine.</p>

<p>So overall, if $$ is not a problem I would go to UW if I were you because it sounds like you’d really like to go there. If $$ is more under consideration, I don’t think you can go wrong with an excellent UIUC cheaper business program if you plan to stay in the Midwest. On the other hand getting residence in Wi could be beneficial as well whether it be getting a job for a year or going to that private college.</p>

<p>I’d go to UW, but Im a bit biases I guess haha :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks, I’m glad I received a well said response. When I graduate from my current college (after the 2010 fall semester) and transfer to a college in Madison for example, would it be allowable if I waited a year to attend the transfer college in order to become a resident? Or is it required that I attend the transfer college right after graduating?</p>

<p>The total cost for residents attending the UW looks alright, but the cost for out of state is too high for me I guess. That is why I would like to wait a year in Madison in order to become a resident. I guess I could keep my information fresh by continually studying the material I learned in previous classes.</p>

<p>Also, what is the maximum amount of financial aid that can be received per semester at the UW? Or does it vary per person?</p>

<p>Glad I could help.</p>

<p>Unfortunately I don’t know exactly how residency works. If I had to guess, I’d say they were pretty strict and it’s more than likely that if you wanted in-state tuition, you would have to take a gap year and work. They just want your taxes is all haha. Ya it would be a good idea to keep previous information fresh for when you actually enroll. Don’t want to fall behind right off the bat.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if by financial aid you mean merit aid or not, but I don’t know too much about that either so I’ll let someone else cover that. However, I have heard that scholarships are much more abundant for upperclassmen once they have gotten deeper into their specific department as opposed to incoming freshmen. It could be different for you however since you are a transfer student.</p>

<p>I was just at ‘SOAR’ - freshman orientation and registration, and a financial aid representative talked about residency. He said you would need to move to Wisconsin, work for one year, file a resident income tax return, register your car here, register to vote here, turn in paperwork to UW and then “we’d consider it”. It is very difficult to get Wisconsin residency.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information. The college I’m currently attending uses SOAR as well. Do those requirements you mentioned above, such as working for a year, involve becoming a Wisconsin resident or is it just to get financial aid at the UW? Should I work exactly a whole year, or can it be anytime within a year just to get an income tax form? </p>

<p>What would be the chances that recruiters from Madison come to UIUC? I guess I could try finding jobs in Madison from ads online.</p>

<p>All the major accting firms recruit lots of UW grads and UW has a top 10 accting program. The only way to have a chance at being instate is to live and work a full year before even applying.</p>

<p>First of all Edgewood College is mentioned, but hopefully not being considered- it is not in the same league as either state school. To become a resident you must live and work in the state for a full year- 12 consecutive full months are a year, plus any other stipulations. The whole idea is that taxpayers help fund the universities and that is why they pay less than others. Is it worth it to you to become a full time employee somewhere in Wis to gain residency before continuing your education? You could get your degree from UIUC and then look for a job in Madison. I would not take out loans just to be in Madison for 2 extra years, especially when you plan many more there.</p>

<p>Yeah, that is possible to look for jobs in Madison. How likely would it be for a recruiter from Madison to recruit at University of Illinois - Urbana, Champaign? I wonder if I could make a request for a recruiter pertaining to a specific location.</p>

<p>Jordan,</p>

<p>I would recommend at least thinking about moving to Madison and attending MATC (our local community college) and working while you get your credits together. There is a great transfer program from MATC to UW-Madison.</p>

<p>I’m now in Madison and have my undergrad degree in Accounting from U of I. You are right that it is a great program. However, if you’d like to be in Madison long-term, you should be a Badger. As you might know, the school community link in Madison is amazing. I have never experienced the amount of college spirit in Madison in any other town I’ve lived in.</p>

<p>However, you should also research admission to the business school at UW. My understanding is that getting into a selective school (business or nursing as examples) is much tougher than getting into UW. Undergrads have to apply after sophomore year.</p>

<p>Good luck,</p>

<p>Kevin</p>

<p>Jordan,</p>

<p>One other thing. None of the Big 4 accounting firms has a Madison office. The biggest firms in town are Grant Thornton, Virchow Krause (now Baker Tilly) and Wipfli. I believe that a strong student with an undergrad degree from U of I would be an attractive candidate for any of those firms. While only GT would recruit on the U of I campus, you could probably interview with a half dozen Madison firms over the course of a two-day visit.</p>

<p>Kevin</p>

<p>You apply during the semester that you will have earned 24 credits ‘in residence’. For a freshman who begins college at UW Madison in September 2009, he or she would apply by April 1st of 2010, given that the 4 prebusiness courses are satisfied, and the 24 credits in residence will be completed by May 2010. The prebusiness courses can be Math 211 (calculus), Psych 202, Econ 101 and English 100. An admission decision is made by July.</p>

<p>That is something to think about- you may be accepted to UW but never get into the business school to be able to get that accounting degree from UW. Or you may face more semesters of school to do so. Think about your priorities and whether getting a degree then moving to Madison makes more sense in the long run.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the posts. I’m actually attending Sauk Valley Community College right now in my area to obtain an Associate’s Degree and complete the classes that are required to transfer to my college of choice (I’m in a college transfer program). This fall will be my third semester at Sauk Valley Community College and will be when I start taking the required classes needed to get accepted into my transfer college. I spoke with a counselor a few weeks ago and she got me started on taking one of the classes I need in order to get considered/accepted into the UW which is probably the same pre-business course I need for UIUC, but I’ll check to make sure.</p>

<p>I’ll probably attend the UIUC thanks to the insight that Kevin shared. The most important thing is to live in Madison and it seems hopeful. The UIUC is definitely more affordable for me as well. Again, I thank you all for taking the time to give me advice.</p>