UM or FIU for a BSN?

<p>Hello I got accepted to both these school and am a local resident in miami. I will be starting school in fall but I am undecided on which school to attend. I plan on majoring in nursing yet do not know which school would be better for this. Right off the bat I would rather attend Um its my dream, but if I attend FIU id be paying about 1k a year as opposed to 15k a year at UM after grants and aid. Is it worth dishing out the money or no? I would really like to attend here but the the BSN program any good or worse than FIU? If anyone knows anything about both please your insight would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Not real familiar with the nursing program. What is your broader goal for college? Is it to finish quickly and be an RN or do you want the whole college experience? Do you want to meet people different from yourself or are you more comfortable around people with similar backgrounds? Your on the UM board, but this is not UM good, FIU bad. It may be FIU is the better option or UM wins hands down. As with any post secondary education, there is a vocational aspect, but that is not the only thing which should be considered. </p>

<p>Hope some UM or FIU nursing students chime in...</p>

<p>baghDAD, Well my mine goal is to graduate with my BSN and get certified as an RN but I would really like the whole college experience or close to it. I also plan on going and doing some graduate studies but am not sure if it'll be right away after my BSN. Is it worth going to UM even if itll put me in a bit of debt? It is where I would really like to attend. Please any advice from anyone? Whether you are a nursing student or just plain old students at either universities.</p>

<p>I think it's worth it. Yeah, paying off my loans is going to suck, but I've had the most amazing experience at UM and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Worth every penny.</p>

<p>Would you be living on campus? You'll definitely get more of the college experience at UM.</p>

<p>No, I wouldnt be living on campus but yeah am a little late on the fall acceptance fee deadline. I called though and they said I could start in spring and even take some classes at FIU so I dont get behind. Am just worried though because I dont think I will be getting the same aid they offered me for fall, but I plan on attending anyway. By any chance do you think that say someone who payed their acceptance fee to reserve a spot backs out and decided not to go that they would call me and maybe let me go fall? Thanks by the way.</p>

<p>I am a UMiami grad. I lived on and off campus and you definitely get a complete college experience living on campus.</p>

<p>That being said, I think that going to UM at all will be a great experience for you, regardless of where you live. You will have loans to pay off later, but nurses make a good living.</p>

<p>May I ask what your gpa & sat were? I am interested in knowing the degree of selectivity of UM’s nursing school.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I want to try and get as much of that college experience as possible and I believe I can get a closer one attending UM over FIU. The campus life at FIU is crap. I dont plan on living on campus it is just too much. Well I didnt get accepted into the nursing school just yet. I have to full fill my 2 years of general education and the prerequisites for nursing school. Then I will have to apply and hopefully I’ll get accepted. My GPA right now is a 4.3 and will be higher when I graduate (June 6th) and my SAT/ACT were relatively low. An overall 1650 and a 23.</p>