UM vs UF for Physics major?

<p>Which school is better for Physics? I know that UF is higher ranked in terms of engineering, but UM ranks the highest in Fl with a ranking of 47, as opposed to UF's 53. Which school will you find more intellectuals?? I do not want to be at a school that is composed of mediocre students..</p>

<p>Miami:
Pros:</p>

<ul>
<li>Private, so unaffected by budget cuts.</li>
<li>Relatively small.</li>
<li>Ranked best in the state.</li>
<li>It's in MIAMI.</li>
</ul>

<p>Cons:</p>

<ul>
<li>Expensive (but I will be able to pay for it)</li>
<li>Too hot.</li>
<li>I don't know if their Physics and Engineering programs are solid.</li>
<li>Not sure how well known it is outside of Fl.</li>
</ul>

<p>UF:
Pros:</p>

<ul>
<li>Solid academics.</li>
<li>Very well known outside of Florida</li>
<li>Nice weather.</li>
</ul>

<p>Cons:</p>

<ul>
<li>Huge.</li>
<li>budget cuts are decreasing the school's quality.</li>
</ul>

<p>Which should I choose???</p>

<p>(I posted this same thread on the UF forum because bias had to be taken into account).</p>

<p>1- Visit both schools and both Physics departments to get a “feel” for what each offers.</p>

<p>2- Rankings are close enough that that should not be a factor in your decision making.</p>

<p>3-Mediocre students??? Where have you heard this. With a ranking of 47 and 53, they are far from mediocre. Besides the rankings, UF gets top students due to cost for Bright Futures at UF. Miami gets many instate and out of state students, many with high rankings (GPA/SAT) and go there with great scholarships because of this.</p>

<p>4- Budgets and the econoomy effect all schools, not just public universities, though they (publics) will likely take a big hit this coming year.</p>

<p>UMiami is extremely well known outside of Fl.</p>

<p>I think you have to visit each school, in regard for “fit” and visit each physics dept. Not just the classes, but what they are doing in the depts and what you will have a chance to do.</p>