UMass Amherst Class of 2027 EA thread

More first years this year (fall 2022) than fall 2021. They were actually under-enrolled that year, possibly due to the stringent rules they enacted during the pandemic but who knows. UMass budgets for 5300 first year students and got less than 4900 in fall of 2021. They over-enrolled by more than 200 plus this year. The housing crunch at UMass is due to jr & sr students receiving priority for housing and seeming to to love living on campus (likely pandemic related). This year Residence Life announced that upperclassmen will not have priority in shared traditional rooms only in apartment style or suite style livings so the hope is more of the traditional rooms will be available for first years and sophomores.

UMass wasn’t alone (not defending/excusing them!) - lots of schools had housing capacity issues last year and had to scramble to find additional capacity. Sometimes squeezing 3 into a room meant for 2, cancelling dorm status for those that could commute, etc.

2 Likes

I have a sophomore at UMass that has lived on campus each of her first two years (Van Meter last year, Brett this year, in the central residential area). If you have any questions for a current parent, please feel free to ask.

Freshman are guaranteed housing, so don’t worry about next year. It was an anxious time finding a dorm her second year, and she kind of got lucky. The kids were all scheduled different times to go online and select housing - it all worked out for her, but she knew one or two others who had some trouble (she doesn’t know anyone at the Econolodge). My guess is that this will work itself out, as it’s an anomaly having so many kids wanting to stay on campus.

In any event, my daughter is going to live in an apartment next year. I’m hoping my son (a senior in high school who has applied to UMass) gets admitted tomorrow, and I’m hoping the Honors College is an option for him. If you don’t know, the HC dorm is the only one on campus that has air conditioning (not that that’s a huge issue, but it was really hot in August 2021 when my daughter moved in).

There are also decidedly different vibes to each of the residential areas (Central, Southwest, Oak Hill & Northeast).

3 Likes

well, at least they’re releasing decisions the day after my birthday. potential late birthday gift. (my birthday’s today, 1/11. turned 18.)

5 Likes

What time? At 7pm?

I made a comment on their Instagram post and asked what time decisions are coming out. They answered “sometime in the afternoon”.

2 Likes

Can we assume this won’t include CS applicants?

No, I wouldn’t assume that.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for sharing. I know this is a problem at a lot of schools but definitely seems to be more challenging at some than others. That must have been an incredibly rough start for those kids!

UMass Admissions specifically stated in the comments on IG that Isenberg, CS and Engineering will be included in this wave. Wishing all the best to everyone still waiting for decision! Sending good vibes your way. :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Fingers crossed for nursing :crossed_fingers:t4:

3 Likes

Stupid question but I’m assuming bio decisions are released today also?

that’s what I’m thinking as well.

Which majors released in last wave?

1 Like

I hope so! My friend got in during the first wave for journalism, so hopefully today is the STEM and science focused majors :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My daughter applied for psych and hers wasn’t released in the first wave. Thought for sure Social and Behavioral sciences would have been in the first. So now we wait for later today.

3 Likes

Will there be another wave or is this it for EA?

1 Like

ugh
 what about business?

1 Like

All majors (with possible exception of Nursing - don’t know) will be in this next wave today. Good luck to all!

2 Likes