UMass Amherst Class of 2027 EA thread

Would love to know his stats, OOS here still waiting for CS decision. Thx.

SAT, 1570. NMSC semifinalist, 4.0 UW, 9 AP + 2 Dual Math courses, College research

2 Likes

In state or OOS? Crazy no honors college with top stats.

1 Like

I got accepted for CS today! Dean’s award + honors college :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wait so if people haven’t gotten rejections/deferrals (from what we know from the forum), is it safe to assume that the next few waves should include rejections? I hope that isn’t true since I do want to go to UMass if I get in :((

OOS GPA 4.0, 4.7 weighted, 1530 SAT (790), math beyond Calc BC, internship, project manager for 1st Robotics and national and international awards in field outside of CS, band, marching band and county orchestra, as well as a few other clubs with leadership. Also, lost his Dad end of sophomore year after long battle with cancer.

He was really hoping for honors, but happy with merit.

5 Likes

Rejections and deferrals had to be in the mix already. Umass takes around 5000 students. 1st was 5000 and this wave was probably similar.

According to last year’s CDS about 42,000 students applied (EA & RD). Around 28,000 were offered admission, and about 5000 students enrolled.

If there are four waves of EA decision releases, and each one is 5000 decisions, it is definitely possible that the first three waves (15,000 decisions) are all acceptances.

Maybe i am misunderstanding, but to me tjere is something wrong with those numbers. Undergrad enrollment is 23k. I can’t imagine they would offer 28k students admission. Should they accept that would double the numbers and be a real housing crisis on and off campus plus staffing isdues.

Could you send me link to report?

1 Like

You can find the past 20 years of CDS for UMass Amherst here:
https://www.umass.edu/uair/data/common-data-set

UMass Amherst has a relatively low yield, and they know to expect that. So they offer admission to almost 6 times as many people as they have space for.

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate it. I will check it out.

I find this fascinating.

For 2022 there were 24,002 EA applications,
16,787 offered admission, and 3067 enrollment.

2 Likes

Their yield is 20%. So you must multiply the number of enrolled students by roughly 5 to determine the actual number of students they accept.

Regardless, their acceptance rate by major varies pretty dramatically - from more than 80% for Public Health to less than 20% for nursing, 32% or so for CS and 40% for Isenberg.

Congrats! Would love to know your stats if you’re ok sharing.

1 Like

Pretty consistent across the college spectrum. Offer acceptances to a lot more people than you have slots for and get yields in the 20-30% range. The top Tier Ivy’s only have yields closer to 40%.

Finally accepted yesterday. OOS math major, 16k/yr merit, no honors college.

2 Likes

have you heard of yield rate? lmao not every acceptance goes to the school. UMass had 48k applicants & 30k acceptances last year. and also for those freaking out about not hearing about rejections, i don’t think many people would willingly share their rejection on the internet.

3 Likes

this made me really calm down lol, 70% acceptance rate to EA last year

1 Like

I agree about the fact that this board is most likely self-selecting for parents/students who share their acceptances (and not rejections/deferrals). As far as the high EA acceptance rate, it’s a little deceptive. The more selective programs (like CS) most likely have a much lower rate. Overall for CS, it’s around 30%; my CS student is still awaiting their UMass decision and we are growing more anxious as each wave is released. Fingers crossed

1 Like

I was trying to calm the folks stressing over not hearing that not all were acceptances. If folks aren’t lying on Discord group, then there have been denials and wait-lists in these waves. That is all.

3 Likes