UMass Amherst Class of 2027 EA thread

Hi there boxingoctopus. Nice to see you here since the Colorado thing is so disappointing. (UMass is for my S23-- CO was for my D23). Have a great trip to UMass.

1 Like

What a coincidence! Is your S23 committed to UMass?

I canā€™t tell where S23 is with all this but I hope UMass is moving up in his mind. Honestly he applied as a likely-admit school sight unseen but after discarding every other likely-admit option I threw his way, so he obviously liked something about it.

UMass made him a great offer and he wonā€™t even know if he has other options until late March so he needs to start focusing on this. Iā€™m going to encourage him to do a virtual CHC event-- though it will be hard b/c they are all during his school day. I might have him just be late one day. He hates virtual events but thatā€™s what we have to work with.

His list of 12 schools only has one other ā€œlikelyā€ school on it, and everything else is a pretty high reach. I would choose this UMass offer over some of his more competitive admit schools that donā€™t even offer merit. So UMass could be the school for him. We shall see.

5 Likes

no ā€“ just posted below. He has a long wait util late March.

and Iā€™ll say that UMass did this right IMO, unlike CO. Betting a high stat student wonā€™t attend and then doing nothing to encourage them to, is just plain stupid. My attitude towards UMass is 100% positive right now and CO can go suck an egg.

1 Like

UW is very nice-- also very hard OOS admit depending on major. S23 decided it was too big for him. UMass is the biggest school by far that he applied to. Seattle is pretty amazing though. Good luck-- I guess you too will be waiting until late March to finalize things.

UMass has definitely gone down on my list. Ofc itā€™s my luck that Iā€™m part of the very last wave.

1 Like

UMass Admissions said on twitter that there is one more wave and reiterated (as always) that itā€™s coming out before February

2 Likes

Only one more wave? How many have there been? 3?

Are we thinking they will be released on Friday? I am hoping they will not make us wait until next Tuesday.

I think only two waves so far.

1 Like

Does UMASS send out an acceptance packet with the letter, brochure, etc?

No they do not

Thatā€™s a bummer! So far, every other college my kids have acceptances for have sent them out. I guess we will have to wait to our destination days visit.

I donā€™t get the logic of the waves, it certainly dampens the enthusiasm if they get accepted, but it is in the last wave. Our daughterā€™s application was submitted on 10/06, so it isnā€™t timing; I would rather know if deferred or denied over limbo.

6 Likes

So true. We have given up on this one and assuming a deferral/rejection at this point.

2 Likes

My daughter too and itā€™s so aggravating

2 Likes

I agree. My daughter submitted about a week after yours and weā€™re still waiting

DD submitted in middle of August. Still waiting. Although I know itā€™s not reviewed on any sort of first come, first served basis.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing myself. Everyone who applied EA isnā€™t definitively committing to UMass. So the college will know who is in, and who is out, when the deposits show up (or donā€™t). And that deposit deadline is May 1 anyway.

It feels like the wave thing is UMassā€™ way of saying ā€œweā€™re going as fast as we canā€. But for those who are not in Wave 1 or Wave 2, it makes them question if they have been viewed as lesser candidates. I think Iā€™d rather them do just one wave, make it on January 31, and eliminate the intrigue.

5 Likes