UMass Amherst Class of 2027 EA thread

DD Waitlisted
Nursing
OOS
34 ACT
3.89 W/4.26 UW
8 APs and 7 honors
School does not rank (small prep school)

2 Likes

My son was waitlisted:

-in state
-CS
-GPA: 3.7/4.2
-ACT: 36
-Lots of ecā€™s and awards

Not his top choice but very surprising!!

3 Likes

Wow thatā€™s nuts. I posted above you that my daughter was WL too for CS, also high stats. The fact that your son was WL in state with his stats just shows you how tough it is and makes you wonder what the students had who were acceptedā€¦

Son was waitlisted:

OOS - Computer Science
4.0 UW/4.17 W
31 ACT (although Iā€™m not sure if he submitted his score)
Several (10+) honors courses at his high school
Tons of community service
#1 rated prep school in the State of Kansas
Has an older sister at UMass (that received a Chancellorā€™s Scholarship).

Interesting . . . he has received a full tuition scholarship to the University of Kansas, and $10K+ scholarships to both Minnesota and Iowa. He is a direct admit to Indianaā€™s school of informatics and their honor college (still awaiting scholarship offer); he was invited to apply to both KUā€™s and Iowaā€™s honor colleges. Has also been admitted to the University of Pittsburgh (awaiting scholarship offer).

Here you go:

https://www.umass.edu/uair/data/admissions-and-enrollment-reports

1 Like

Wow. Very surprised at the talented students getting WL and Rejected. Feeling more fortunate than ever OOS S23 was accepted. UMass was his ā€œsafetyā€. Haha realizing now there is no such thing as a safety anymore.

Student with stats like iā€™m seeing here will have great options all the same, but the admissions game is out of control. Iā€™m glad weā€™re done with it after March! Good luck to all.

Ugh, Iā€™m sorry. My daughter is afraid to check right now. So I have to wait.

1 Like

I know! It seems crazy to meā€¦.

Same for my son. He has received good merit offers and honors from other places. Very surprising to see him waitlisted here.

2 Likes

My daughter got into Pitt too. She received merit aid. We havenā€™t toured yet but Iā€™ve heard great things about it.

1 Like

My daughter was waitlisted for Isenberg (In state, 3.8 UW GPA). She has been accepted at both Penn State University Park and Ohio State. They are both competitive programs so I am confused on the admissions process. She is devastated because UMASS was her #1 schoolā€¦she would prefer to stay close to home.

1 Like

My son was just admitted to Isenberg. 3.94 GPA and test optional with lots of EC/volunteering/work/etc. We are in-state.

Honestly I donā€™t understand this whole process some days given the stats of a lot of other kids.

3 Likes

Well, Iā€™ve got a ton of survivor guilt, but I was accepted to Isenberg. My vital stats donā€™t compare favorably to many here who were waitlisted or rejected - However, my essays were absolute gold. The long wait was terrible and heart-wrenching, but I am very appreciative to UMass for their true comprehensive, holistic review.

In-State
3.7 UW / 4.32 W GPA
1300 SAT Superscore (didnā€™t submit because was 1220 at the time of application)
0 APā€™s (not a typo and school offers a bunch) 16 Honors Classes
2 Sport Varsity Athlete - Captain (but didnā€™t submit leadership because I wasnā€™t named Captain at time of application)
PT Job since sophomore year
100+ volunteer hours
75/300 class rank

10 Likes

Makes zero sense

1 Like

Wow, crazy that she got into Penn State for business but not UMass.

Congrats to you! Was pulling for you.

Aww, thanks. Iā€™ve got some super tough choices to make!

1 Like

Son was waitlisted with 3.87 GPA, all IB classes, and lots of ECs including lead roles in theater and captain of the sailing team. His sister is a junior and his cousin is a sophomore. I work for UMass. He got scholarships from other schools and was accepted to more competitive schoolsā€¦ we are gutted by this decision. But he will pivot and make his mark. Congrats to those who got in and to those who didnā€™t, you will shine wherever you will go!

1 Like

For what major was he waitlisted?

Environmental Science