UMass Amherst vs UNH

<p>Hi all,
My D has been accepted by UMass Amherst and University of New Hampshire into their direct admit nursing programs. Does anyone have any opinions/experience/knowledge that compares the two programs? We are from Massachusetts, so are more familiar with UMass. Both programs are similar in regards to financial cost. D thinks she'd like to work in Boston for a period of time after graduation. UNH is actually closer to Boston, but I don't know what sort of reputation it has in the hospitals there.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for your comments!</p>

<p>Umass Amherst has 1008 clinical hours, which is amazing.
A good friend of mine who went there says a lot of Boston hospitals love working with umass amherst students, & some would choose them over northeastern students.
Also she couldn’t say enough good things about the program and the school.</p>

<p>Why is 1008 clinical hours amazing?</p>

<p>I think i have seen as high as 1400 and 1600 clinical hours for nursing clinicals. i could be wrong.</p>

<p>I’ve been told that you want a nursing program with as many clinical hours as possible, because it is hands on, you really learn what it takes to be a nurse, more hours = more experience since being a nurse is mainly about person to person contact … Getting As in a class can only get you so far. I’ve read you want a program with atleast 800 hours, & the really good programs have over 1000.</p>

<p>I’m not saying it has the most hours, but definitely more than a lot of programs. Like Fairfield only has 672 clinical hours and then 112 simulation lab hours. One of the most popular nursing programs is Case Western and they have 1600 which is a lott!</p>

<p>I would agree that 1000+ clinical hours are very desirable and the more the better. That said; I think 1008 would more accurately be described as “good” instead of “amazing”. Just my opinion…</p>

<p>Okay, we have a good compromise :slight_smile: haha</p>