Umass Lowell and Umass Dartmouth

<p>I found an interest in nursing a year ago and I am 100 % sure i want to major in it in college. Two colleges i have always been interested in is Umass Lowell and Umass dartmouth. I know Umass Dartmouth is direct entry and that is what i want however. I love the Umass Lowell campus it is a thriving city and it is undrrated but i know that it will give me a solid education with great clinical experience . I am interested in hearing your opinions on these two schools and recommending me other schools. FYI i dont think i can get into Umass Amherst nursing program but it would be close but because i am male do you think they would favor a male applicant over a female with a close gpa? Anyways before i keep blabbing on can you please give me feedback on these two schools and others.
And i am not afraid to explore colleges all around the country if you have info on them.</p>

<p>I think in general, males do have an advantage over females in nursing…just because they are considered the minority.</p>

<p>My son and I also toured UMass Lowell, Umass Dartmouth & UMass Amherst. Lowell was his favorite. Smaller class size, 6 new buildings opened in the past year with 1 more opening in the next year. He applied & was accepted to all 3. He chose UMass Lowell. A lot of it had to do with his choice of major. He is a biotechnology major with a bio-medical engineering minor. Those choices were not available at UMass Amherst. Also the Honors College at UMass Lowell is truly an advantage to the students. They have had separate housing for Honors students in their own dorm for years. They have numerous groups set up for honors students tutoring, websites, parties & other honors only get togethers. The number of students and the sheer size of UMass Amherst was a little overwhelming. He has moved in and says he is very happy with his choice of UMass Lowell. It has recently been ranked as the most underrated college in America. Pay scale also rate the students as one of the top money makers upon graduation. All that plus less tuition. You can’t beat it!</p>

<p>UMASS Dartmouth is direct entry, with a nationally ranked program. Clinically can be done at a number of local hospitals, or you could set up your own in a different town. The class size is small-they only take about 100 nursing students a year-and they have a nice simulation lab. </p>

<p>However, it’s not for everybody; the campus is a bit…prison like. I toured it and wasn’t a huge fan, BUT I did go during the summer-it may be different during the year. If you could i would tour.</p>

<p>Andrewthayer…If you were choosing between Amherst, Dart and Lowell and you live in Mass I would pick a program closer to your house for job opportunities (clinicals) or in area where you want to work.</p>

<p>I loved Dartmouth but the campus police log was a joke… fire alarms, larceny, robbery drug uses all the time. I’ve seen better crime logs on some nights in Detroit. The program is great but the kids who shouldn’t be in college will make it a terrible experience for some.</p>