UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

I believe that is correct. After their first year, current UMD students may apply for the honors college. More info here.

October 28

does anyone know the differences between honors, scholars, carillon communities, global communities, and fire? and how would they differ in terms of prestige?

1 Like

Thanks! Thats useful information.

still gives no match, admitted for Fall 2021

yeah, it would be nice if someone could explain the differences …

1 Like

What is the difference between comp sci and comp sci-machine?

Read this thread from @maryversity

1 Like

Here’s a description of the different programs.

My son is starting his second semester of chemical engineering and is in the biofire program.

http://reslife.umd.edu/llp/

1 Like

You received your invitation to Carillon as part of your UMD acceptance letter. Before accepting the Carillon invite review our website, read about the program, learn about our different communities, and decide if Carillon Communities is for you.

If you want to start your first year at Maryland working with faculty and your peers to wrestle with Big Questions important to our world, then Carillon is for you.

Accept your invitation by following these steps.

1. Review the eight Communities on the website.
  2. Choose at least three communities that interest you (you can choose more). We encourage you to select communities that allow you to explore interests beyond your intended major. The community courses are designed to satisfy general education requirements.
  • Why are we encouraging you to choose three communities? Each community is limited in size. By selecting three we will have the greatest opportunity to offer placement in a community of your interest. If you select only one community and are not selected for that community placement you will not be placed in another community, and will not be a member of the Carillon Communities. Please note that lack of placement in Carillon will have no adverse effect on your enrollment at Maryland.
  1. To respond to your Carillon Communities invitation and indicate your living-learning program interests, navigate to the checklist within your [Terps Application Portal and select the Carillon Communities Interest Form. Please complete the form no later than February 22, 2021. You must complete the Interest Inventory form to accept your Carillon invitation. You are not automatically enrolled in the program.
1 Like

OOS daughter got into Bio and Honors.

3 Likes

Thank you!
How are ppl chosen for this?

I’m sorry. The only thing that I can think of is a consideration of whether others in your area did submit SAT/ACT scores? It was very difficult for many Maryland in-state students to take the SAT; they either had to be on-the-ball and take it in December of their Junior year or they had to take it really late. I know that other areas of the country had more opportunities to take tests. Did your daughter apply for a competitive major? That can also make a difference. I hope that she lands at a school that she really enjoys!

Hey I got into CS and the College Park Scholars program.
Just wondering how this compares to Honors college and the other programs? Are certain programs more selective?
Thanks!

Welcome to UMD!

I had never heard of AAP and Summer Bridge until I just looked them up, but I am a fan of any programs that help students to succeed! Was your private school really small or obscure? Your GPA was great! The Computer Science program at UMD is extremely competitive and I am guessing that the university just wants to make sure that you will succeed. I think that you will have to weigh your different options. I would ask UMD to connect you with other Summer Bridge graduates; they will be able to tell you more. You could ask for the exact percentage of Summer Bridge graduates who graduate from UMD in their desired majors. This will give you a better idea. Congratulations on your acceptance and best wishes with your decisions.

No merit for spring admits unless you manage to snag a small award from a department later on. Sorry.

In state

Accepted to letters and sciences but I applied for business. Is there any way to get into my major before attending UMD? Also which is higher ranked FIRE program or Carillon Communities?

i didn’t get my results yet

2 Likes