UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

No she was accepted, but the scores she submitted after the deadline were higher than the ones originally submitted. She is hoping that any merit will be based on scores submitted after 11/1.

This is actually my exact situation! I submitted my September SAT on time, but my November SAT allowed me to superscore 30 points higher. Fingers crossed for both of us that they will consider our higher scores for merit scholarships!

1 Like

My son applied for CS and got Letters/Science. I am wondering if he changes his desired major, does he have a chance to ask now for direct admission to that major or is he forced to start in L&S? Maybe if the change of major is another LEP (e.g, computer engineering) the answer is no, but if the major is not LEP he could?

If your son does not want to be in LEP, he can change is major in L&S at any time including at the start of the year since he does not have to take gateway courses for the respective LEP.

1 Like

Did your checklist say if they received your sat scores or not

For anybody that applied test optional for EA does their checklist look like this? image|375x500

mine look likes this, but I sent my scores 10/27
im so confused

I didn’t receive my decision

Thank you. Am I correct in my understanding that computer engineering would also be a LEP?

Your son will be registering for classes this summer during orientation, so if he wants to change to a non-LEP major, it should be easiest to do that by calling Admissions before May 1.

Yes, all majors within the Clark School of Engineering are LEP. (Including CompE) I will say that not getting direct admit into major should not scare you because most people don’t. The only significant draw back of not getting direct admit is that you have to have a B- in the intro level classes to transfer to the engineering school.

Thank you. We have a lot to think about. He was accepted to another college with sizable merit scholarship direct admission to CS which is part of that college’s engineering dept. UMD was his reach school for CS. He has to think about whether he wants to start somewhere where he has to work his way up from day one or where he already is in a comfortable spot.

Yes

@sdevorefl thanks for sharing your son’s experience! (I also consider it a good sign that your entire family seems to have chosen to be Terps.) :slight_smile: My son would be entering with a bunch of credits and is a hard worker with a strong background in math, so that’s all good information to know about the program. It sounds like exactly what he’s looking for. I will also definitely mention the BS/MS program to my son as he may wish to research it further. Thanks again, and wishing your family a very happy and healthy year!

1 Like

Did you get your decision yet?

No. I submitted on 9/27

My son was accepted last year into Chemistry. He thought he had selected Chemical Engineering but didn’t. Both are LEPs. He emailed to ask about switching majors before the semester started and they reevaluated him and switched his major within a few weeks. It was painless.

Honestly he could have waited and just completed the gateway courses for engineering and done the same switch but this way he was set from the beginning. You can always ask to be reevaluated now for Computer Engineering if that’s his preference.

1 Like

@sdevorefl Fellow S Florida Terp, D was just excepted. I haven’t been there since I graduated. Early 90’s. What’s it like now? I remember it being really hard to get classes, but sounds like if you come in with credits it’s easier? She will have between 40-50 credit depending on what they accept.

I know I am a hypocrite bc I went OOS, but tell me why it’s worth giving up PPF/BF? We didn’t have it back then, and tuition was so much less. I guess I still feel UF is a better value, although I went to Maryland over UF and turned out fine.

Thank you! He may try that for the comp engineering reevaluation, but I think he’s a second guessing himself on his major and needs to fully commit to what he wants to do. Hard to make life decisions at 17 when you are in the middle of a pandemic!

It’s tough at that age. I completely get it. Maryland seems flexible with switching, except for Business. If he doesn’t switch and stays Letters and Scholars that’s not really a negative either.

1 Like

Yeah, it is a bit confusing. Merit/financial award letters don’t come out until March 1st yet they want you to fill out that preference form by Feb 22? I suppose it is to start planning. My daughter - and I am sure many others - has multiple offers so we aren’t committing until we see the financial package. Congrats for getting accepted!