UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

I applied in September for the EA pool but still have not received a decision response. After calling the admissions office several times, I still have not received a call back or gotten through to a representative. My TAP portal is unreadable. Did anyone with this same issue get through to admissions? My ACT scores were sent months ago to the school.

I called them first thing this morning and realized that if you put yourself in the que, you are not likely to get the call. I put myself in the que and still have not received the call. After 30 minutes of putting myself the que, I called back and waited this time and my call was answered in 16 minutes. So, call first thing in the morning and stay on hold.

I know it does no good at this point for posters here but maybe someone reading this will think about it in the future. When my son applied last year, I was nervous about everything actually being submitted so I called UMD a few days before the deadline just to make sure that they had received everything required for my son’s application. I agree that their submission system was quirky when compared to other schools he applied to. I wish you all the best in getting these situations resolved. I know that it must be extremely frustrating.

I called this morning and was told that if you can prove that you had your test scores sent prior to Nov. 1 then will reconsider your application for EA even if the scores were received after Nov. 1.

As far as the email on Jan. 8 that most peope got, I was told, it was a marketing email that was sent to everyone supposedly.

Hope this helps!!

I am having this same problem. My portal says everything was completed/sent in, including test scores, on 10/15 which is before the EA deadline. I am waiting for an email or call back about it.

Haha thanks! Unfortuantely, my SAT wasn’t received until 12/7. And, I sent it late november. I misunderstood their FAQ and I was also given a bad answer by an admissions officer who might’ve not understood my question. So yeah, I have no chance of being considered EA, but I am pretty confident that my application is strong enough to still get scholars or honors for the RD review.

Crazy question and proud of all those who apply period not to mention getting into a really good school like UMD but is there a rank to these four programs (Honors/Scholars/Carillion/Fire). I can’t tell. Fire is research. Carillion is also a living learning.

I’m going to assume the Honors is first, then Scholars…but FIRE is research so maybe it just has a different audience.

Like everyone I’m curious to see if any of this matters for scholarships.

My daughter hadn’t considered a living learning community but we can learn more. She’s in Scholars. You still need to provide a statement of interest so not sure if it’s automatic or just an invite.

Honors is higher than scholars is higher than Carrillion. I think fire is separate.

1 Like

does anyone have experience or knowledge of substance-free housing? are the participants indeed respectful of the substance-free rules? can you live in a Living Learning Program and be on a substance-free floor? any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Students are invited to join these programs. They do have to commit if they want to participate.

Scholarships seem to be reserved for the top students.

Honors is the highest distinction.

There’s a lot of good information in this thread if you haven’t seen it yet.

1 Like

For us, even without scholarship, the COA to attend UMD is still cheaper than all schools my daughter has been accepted since we are in-state and I believe UMD’s tuition is cheaper compare to other neighboring schools. She also got invited to Honors program, so hopefully that would translate into some sort of merit.

We are hoping that she will choose UMD but want to give her the choice as long as it’s affordable.

1 Like

Yes, Maryland is a great deal for us in-state people! Even though we are dual alumni (and season ticket holders!) we said he has the choice in the end. He is narrowing down his list based on acceptances.

Also if you or your children know of any accepted student groups on social media (I’m pretty sure he has every single social media app) my son is definitely interested in joining them. He has loved getting to know kids at other schools.

Kids know more about those social’s group more than us parents :-). We live about 30 minutes from UMD (in MC), so I’m sure she will have friends go there also.

S21 accepted to Bioengineering, OOS - but not invited to Honors or any of the LLPs, which he thought he had the qualifications for. He’s very happy to get into his major but liked the idea of being part of a smaller “community” in such a huge school.

1 Like

We also live in MC

Does anybody know anything about rolling space availability basis ?
Is there a > 0 chance with good stats ?

Just to update everyone on my missing decision, I was able to get in touch with admissions (finally), and the reason why my portal was glitching and I did not receive a decision was because they accidentally stored my file in the Freshman Connection application pool; a computer mistake. Luckily they fixed it and will be giving me my Early Action decision in 7 business days.

8 Likes

That is great to hear <3

Exactly the same thing has happened to my daughter - she self-reported her SATs not realizing that by asking for test scores to be considered she needed to have them sent by the College Board. Never was there any indication in her portal that this was a problem.
Every other school she applied to flags problems like this. Now she’s being told she might still be considered EA if they have time and if she gets her scores in quickly, but she’s too late for RD. With a 4.0+ WGPA in an IB program and 1510 SATs, she was hoping for the Honors Program. She is beside herself. Granted she made a mistake, but it is basically a paperwork error. Not sure why UMD treats applicants this way.

I am so sorry to hear that . Same here My son has enough stats to get into honors .
I initiated CB request yesterday afternoon.
He doesn’t have many options so we initiated OOS applications to universities that still accept .

However I am confused about one thing .
You say “they can consider her EA if she gets her scores in ?”
We did but we were told we can only be considered rolling on space available basis .

I have talked to them few times . Can you clarify ?