UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

We applied to 21 - and there are schools, like Pitt, that don’t give. Others like Arizona, Alabama, and U of SC, that give nicely. I’m trying to not have my daughter fall in love with a school - but she really likes College of Charleston - their merit isn’t very good. She got the max - $12K of $34K tuition.

I know you shouldn’t expect a great deal unless you go in state. She refused. Wanted a strong Jewish life and we don’t have that here in Tennessee.

It could be this year test scores were not considered for merit scholarships. A few schools have said for the first wave they were not. So it’s most likely rigor and grades.

Honestly as hard as it is I’ve learned you just can’t compare. There are too many factors involved and no one knows what is in one child’s application vs another that gets them in or gets them a scholarship.

Maryland has always had a strong Jewish community even when I went there in the early 90s. Good luck to your child, I agree with you that community matters a great deal for college students I hope they find a great one.

Anyone know a good residence hall for first years? Even someone for an engineering major?

1 Like

Do you have to apply for financial aid to be eligible for the Banneker Key

Unless things have changed, Freshmen do not get to pick a Dorm. Dorms are assigned based on LLCs, or randomly by ResLife. Most Freshman end up in a North Campus Dorm.

1 Like

No, but you have to be admitted to the Honors College to be eligible.

Does UMD allow first years to bring a vehicle?

@SoofDad

Do you know if B/K notification will be out at once or span out to several days ?

Thanks

@ttb1263 - I’m not really sure. It may be over 2 or 3 days. It’s hard to tell because some people don’t post it on here right away

1 Like

A few years ago, UMD started a policy of no cars for Freshmen. You should be able to check on the UMD DOTS website

It looks like they do allow freshmen to have cars on campus. Check UMD DOTS for details

If they change the freshman policy in the future, there are some local churches adjacent to campus that rent parking spots to students.

Yes, but if one gets into Honors, one can prioritize LLC’s based upon dorms!

True, but some LLC’s, such as ACES, have limited capacity. I would recommend picking an Honors LLC based on interest. But picking based on Dorm is certainly an option

Does anyone know if in-state residents who don’t fill out a FASFA get scholarships? I’ve read that sometimes people get 2k scholarships and I was wondering if that was common. TIA. My D was accepted Scholars.

I would assume that merit is detached from FAFSA. There are a few schools you need to do a FAFSA to get merit aid. But at most - merit is that, irrelevant to FAFSA.

1 Like

Has anyone received information re: an Admitted Students Day? I think I saw in one of the above messages that it took place at the end of Feb in previous years. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Thank you!

My son received an email to register for this spring for Admitted Students Day. The email actually didn’t give the date but when you register, it gives you a few dates to choose from.

1 Like

I posted that my D had attended an Admitted Student’s Day at the end of February, but they had several dates to choose from. That just happened to be a date that worked for us.

1 Like