UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

If an OOS Honors student gets selected as a full-ride Banneker Key Scholar, then yes, the full OOS tuition is covered as well as the university rate for room and board AND a generous book stipend. Whatever is not spent on books becomes spending money. The stipend for room and board can be used on off-campus housing, if desired. (I would not recommend doing this freshman year, as the Honors students can really bond meeting each other on-campus). Only about half of the Banneker Key Scholars get the “full ride.”

Also, many B/K Scholars seem to have SAT scores in the mid-1500’s and up, but there are exceptions. I have heard of students with 1400’s or even high 1300’s getting selected if they are bringing something else very special to the table. Scoring in the mid-1500’s (or ACT equivalent) does not in any way guarantee a B/K scholarship. Try somewhere else, like Alabama! My DD is a B/K Scholar, so I get my info from her and from mingling with other students and parents at the accepted B/K luncheon and interview day.

My daughter’s acceptance letter included that she was admitted to Scholars, but I’ve read on this forum that you can also apply for Scholars.

I would estimate that about 3,000 students are admitted to the Honors College and about 400 are offered B/K invitations. Approximately 1,000 of the 3,000 enroll

About 250 get the Full ride and the rest get a Partial B/K. About 150 of the 400 actually enroll

The full B/K covers it all, IS or OOS. The partial is 12,000 for OOS and 8,000 for IS, as I recall

Most of the students in the Honors College do NOT get any scholarships.

Honors and Scholars invitations are included in the first sentence of the EA decision notice

Does Banneker-Key usually always cover all of tuition?

What are the usual credentials needed for the scholarship?

The B/K invite says that 2% of all applicants get it. That puts the B/K invited more at 700 than 400?

UMD’s 2020 Freshman Profile states that they had 35,000 applicants, but that total includes both EA and RD applicants.

RD applicants are not eligible for the B/K. I have seen estimates of 20,000 to 25.000 EA applicants, but UMD does not specify the actual number of EA applicants or the actual number of RD applicants

Over the past several years. other posters have reported the 400 number, and that is what I generally use. UMD does not provide the actual number of B/K invites

For those admitted to the Honors College who are not offered B/K, wouldn’t they be offered the President’s or Dean’s Scholarship?

Yes about 1,000 freshman are in Honors and another 900 are in Scholars.

What is the difference between Honors and Scholars?

Is everyone in Honors offered either the B/K, President’s or Dean’s Scholarship?

Honors is a 4 year program Scholars is a 2 year one. See above about Scholarships.

Is SoofDad mistaken when saying that most Honors College students are not offered any scholarship?

My D21 admitted to honors and no merit money

No, @Yankeefan20 , SoofDad is not wrong.

See this survey filled out by University of Maryland
https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=University+maryland&s=all&id=163286#finaid

Type of Aid - Institutional grants or scholarships

Number of students receiving 2,451

Percent of students receiving 40%

Total amount of aid $19,754,167

Average amount $8,060

He estimated about 1,000 of those who are offered Honors College decide to enroll. If an estimated 2,451 receive a merit scholarship, then doesn’t everyone offered the Honors College receive it?

It says 2% of “all applicants” get the B/K invite – not only EA.

Also it appears that 150 students who enter get the Full B/K.

Source: " For the 2011 entering class, over 22% (34/154) of the full four-year Banneker-Key Scholarships were awarded to Biological
Sciences students, even though students declaring a major in the Biological Sciences represented only about 11% of the entering class."
http://biology.umd.edu/uploads/2/7/8/0/27804901/2011_biology_self_study.pdf

1 Like

There are 2 criteria from UMD site:

All freshman applicants to the University of Maryland who meet the early action deadline of November 1 and are invited to the Honors College are considered for nomination to the Banneker/Key Scholarship. No additional application materials are required

The source referenced is from the academic year 2011. I believe that many things have changed at UMD in the past 10 years.

@Yankeefan20

No, the 2,541 students recieving institutional grants and scholarships includes UMD grants aid to students with financial need, via FAFSA.

From Admissions “ The selection committee carefully reviews the entire application of each early action deadline applicant, and semifinalists for the scholarship are invited to campus for an interview in late February or early March as part of the final selection process. Each fall, roughly 150 new Banneker/Key Scholars are welcomed to campus.”

https://admissions.umd.edu/finance/freshman-merit-scholarships

Also see the institutional report, answers to federal survey, about need based aid.
https://irpa.umd.edu/InstitutionalData/CommonDataSet/CDS_2019-2020.xlsx?

Further down, can see

n) Number of students in line a who had no financial need and who were awarded institutional non-need-based scholarship or grant aid (exclude those who were awarded athletic awards and tuition benefits) 1056 3723 61
H2A o) Average dollar amount of institutional non-need-based scholarship and grant aid awarded to students in line n 7,037

Ok we can argue all day about how many applicants got a B/K invite, but there are only 2 relevant facts,

1. Per UMD’s own website only about 150 B/K recipients actually enroll, and

2. All B/K invites have been sent out and you either got one or you didn’t

Now for President’s Scholarships. Some are claiming that every student admitted to the Honors College gets a Presidents Scholarship.

I say No.

My evidence - my D was in the Honors College for 4 years, she was an Honors Collge Ambassador, she was in Departmental Honors and she did not get any scholarships.

Her roommate, also in the Honors College, with amazing Stats, did not get any Scholarships.
I have had Honors College students in my home. Only one had a scholarship - the Full B/K.

UMD reports scholarship info (and much more data) to the Common Data Set (google Common Data Set University of Maryland) and to

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=University+maryland&s=all&id=163286#finaid

Please review these two Official Sources of data and for evidence that all students in the Honors College get a Presidents Scholarship.

I have actually looked at both sources. You may be surprised at what you find.

There are also Dean’s Scholarsips, for In-State students only. Only about 400 recipients actually enroll, per UMD;s website.

In any event, the remaining scholarship awards will probably be out by next Friday.

Good Luck to All.

2 Likes