UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Even with scholarship, most can count on the amount will be fairly small. ; :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Sounds like it’s not looking good for Scholars students. It will be a 2nd school - after Pitt - with no $$. Fortunately, there are other good options who give $$ - U of SC ($21K + Honors - supposedly the top Honors in the country) and FSU with out of state tuition waived.

I’ve been on this forum since 2013. My whole point is that it is Useless to try to predict who will get a scholarship and who won’t.

People are surprised every year, both good and bad.

4 Likes

We are in the same boat, Pitt ($5000) is a no, and I’m guessing UMD as well. UD, UMASS, Temple and Bing are her OOS east coast options with good merit.

Is the Presidential scholarship renewable for 4 years if GPA, etc… criteria are maintained? If so, then is it actually better ($12,000/yr) for in-state student than receiving the partial B/K ($8,000/yr) (even though B/K is supposed to be the most prestigious UMD scholarship)?

Yes, it is a renewable 4 year scholarship. I don’t know the criteria. The Full B/K is the most prestigious UMD scholarship.

The Partial B/K also includes a $1,250 book allowance

Even so, it seems it is financially better to get the Presidential ($12,000) without interview rather than the partial B/K ($9,250) after required B/K interview for an in-state student. Also, is UMD still awarding the Board of Regents scholarship?

@Mddds3 from the Academic Catalog
“ REGENTS SCHOLARS PROGRAM

The Regents Scholars Program recognizes the extraordinary achievement of outstanding freshmen students. New awards are made each year in the amount of full in-state tuition, mandatory fees, room, board and a $1,000 stipend. Recipients are automatically admitted to the Honors College. A select number of the top high school scholars in the state will be considered for this most prestigious award. A complete admission application and all required application materials must be submitted the by November 1 early action deadline for consideration. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for more information.”

From previous years, I saw the highest president award for instate was $5k/yr.

Is the Regents Scholars (“most prestigious award”) even better than the Full B/K scholarship? How and when are the Regents awarded—@SoofDad?

Thanks for that information. I believe there is a dollar amount range but perhaps the upper end (5k to 12K) is reserved for OOS students only?

Here is a link regarding the Board of Regents Scholarships. I don’t really know anything about it. It looks like very, very few students get it (274 in 34 years) and it is not limited to UMD-CP

Well, there were 4 Regents Scholars named for the entire state in 2019. That doesn’t look very promising!

In addition to any federal or state aid, does UMD offer its own need-based aid? If yes, is it only for in-state?

Do you know anything about the qualifications for prior years for comparison?

Is the Regents the same as the B/K one?

There is some need-based aid, but it goes to very low income families. I’ve never heard of a middle-class family getting need-based aid from UMD.

Has anyone recieved scholarship information? I saw somewhere that about 2 weeks after being notified of acceptance that youd recieve scholarship info but I still havent seen anything.

UMD has not sent out scholarship notification yet. From UMD’s website, they will release by March 1st and @SoofDad predicted it will be next Friday2/26.

Good luck.