UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

I looked through all the UMD emails as most schools make you set up with their ID - i don’t see that email. I’ll ask my daughter.

She’s not in Honors (Scholars) so I’ll assume she’s not getting anything but she is in Politics - which is an LEP. Her top choice is American. She did not even think of applying to UMD and I was like for $75, why not? If you want to be in DC, this is close. And I read earlier in the chain they are building a stop on campus. That’d be awesome!!

My son was notified of his merit in an email earlier this evening.

48k over 4 years, OOS.

Was that email separate from the financial aid email?

1 Like

So it wasn’t an email like this - but actually listed the $12K in the email body?

Crap - we got none then. This is what our note says:

We are pleased to inform you that your financial aid offer for the 2021-2022 academic year is now available.

To review and accept your offer, please follow the instructions provided in the Aid Offers and Disbursement section of our Financial Aid Process
page. If you would like detailed information on the eligibility requirements for any financial aid you have received, please review our Financial Aid FAQs.

1 Like

I don’t think he received an email with the financial aid info yet. This was an email with the subject “Hey Terp, news you’ve been waiting for!”, and then a congratulatory email with the info about the President’s scholarship.

1 Like

Congratulations on your 50k scholarship! I would not think of your admittance to L&S as a rejection from biochemistry, which as a limited enrollment program may require a prospective biochemistry student to take required courses, such as English, Math and Organic Chemistry 1, before being allowed to declare it as his or her major. Hope that you will find the best fit for you.

Need info on Letters and sciences. OOS Virginia got 50k scholarship over 4 years. Applied to CS but got put into Letters and Sciences. Took 9 APs, 2 Dual Enrollment, and rest of the classes all honors so I’m used to the rigor. GPA 4.05 W. I need to know if I can guarantee a spot in CS and get my degree in 4 years if I try my hardest to do so. Like as long as I meet a certain threshold will I be on track? Thanks.

Still not in but we are in an LEP. I assume that’s worse. Because if we don’t take it, someone else will. Trying to get my daughter to scan the code. Nervous. She’s out.

Does anybody know whether all the scholarships emails have been sent out? I haven’t received any email about either FA or a scholarship offer.

I think the answer is yes; from their webpage:
h t t p s://undergrad.cs.umd.edu/internal-transfer-students
Delete the spaces in 'h t t p s" to work as a link.

The first of the frequently-asked questions (right side of the page) :
“Am I guaranteed admission to Computer Science if I meet the gateway requirements?”
Answer:
Yes. All students who successfully complete the gateway requirements will be admitted to the major.

Got in - just has the $5,500 loan. I hate that schools count that as money off expense. If anything, it’s even more money - due to interest.

Daughter also got an email from Pitt - she inquired - they are done giving merit and got none.

Would love to consider these but with South Carolina at at least $21K off, Florida State out of state tuition waived, Miami OH $21K off…and her favorite the College of Charleston - not a great offer - their max - $12K and clearly not in the same caliber of the other schools…but my daughter’s #1 choice, we likely can’t consider PItt or UMD.

I hope what some think - all offers aren’t out and there’s still a chance - but it’s a bit disheartening when some have gotten and others haven’t…but I guess we can hope!!

Congrats to those who got $$.

Marylandwannabe, I am very sorry to hear that UMD has not awarded you more. I thought that the university reserved most of its financial aid for low-income students from the state of Maryland and you should definitely qualify! You may want to follow up with the Financial Aid office to verify if the Pell grant is the full award. A guidance counselor from school might be willing to call on your behalf. You could also try using UMD’s Net Price Calculator to see what the predicted award would be, based upon your family finances.

I really don’t recommend that your family take out $21,000 in loans to attend UMD. If UMD does not pull through with more grants, can you attend somewhere else? I am hoping that your guidance counselor steered you towards additional options. Are there any community college options in Baltimore that would give you the ability to transfer for junior year?

1 Like

Yes- we are in state. Presidential 32k over 4 years

1 Like

I checked the net price calculator and it said that I would be paying 2,000 closer to 3,000 out of pocket. I’m just very surprised that I got no other grant than the pell grant. I was accepted on a conditional admission that I go to this summer program that can offer more aid and ETC. for low income students and maybe they are planning to give me more aid through their program? I’m just confused because $21,000 is a lot of money. Also, I’ve gotten into other schools like UMBC and Towson which are instate that may not cost as much I just really like UMD. I’ll give them a call today to see what’s going on.

1 Like

On her financial aid portal, it said no financial aid award has been created yet.

My son is not in honors or scholars and received the presidential award of $50k over 4 years. Something to note… at UMD you have to maintain a 3.2 to keep the scholarship. Most schools require a 3.0.

1 Like

OSS 8K for 4 years merit.

2 Likes

I just called admissions and they said all merit went out yesterday so if you didn’t get email there was no award. We are in state though and UMD is a great value- though a scholarship still would have been nice!

@CSJA2025 - Back in 2014, UMD was the only school that did not give my D a scholarship, but she picked UMD because it was the Best Value, and she did Great. No Regrets. Good Luck

5 Likes

Did any test optional applicants get more than $2k per year?