UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

UMD is not generous when it comes to scholarships but it is still a good option for instate with the lower tuition compare to other state schools in the neighboring states . My D got small scholarship from UMD but even without it, the cost is still cheaper than OOS schools that offered her $16K-21.5K scholarships.

4 Likes

We received an email but there was no “award”…just the $5500 unsubsidized loan availability.

I love how they “congratulate” you on being able to take out a loan, lol.

3 Likes

I suppose that’s the advantage of filling out FASFA, you know where you stand but I had to call to validate that I got the goose egg.

Does anyone know if the Dean’s Scholarship can be used for room and board?

I believe UMD and outside scholarships can be used for direct cost (tuition+fee, room and board).

Did anyone accepted into the engineering school get merit aid? My son has not received any merit aid from anywhere and was accepted into the engineering schools at Umd, VT, Purdue, PennState. I know some kids who were accepted into undeclared with lower stats received some aid. For example, another student who was accepted into VT undecided got a $3000 merit scholarship yet has a lower gpa and scores than my son who was accepted into the first year engineering program. Am I onto something here? Should my younger son apply undecided instead of engineering?

My son is engineering and got $12.5k a year merit scholarship (OOS), 35 ACT, 3.8 w

No merit for Penn State, but accepted into engineering school

Waitlisted at VT - there seems to be no rhyme or reason this year! Good luck to your son, he has great acceptances!

I’ve been on this forum since 2013. It is futile to try to predict scholarship awards from UMD.

1 Like

Congrats! My D was accepted to Bing. UMD - no merit just FA $5,500 so it’s making it a lot less desirable since it’s $$ for OOS - 56k!

1 Like

I think you just can’t compare GPA across schools or really know what anyone’s criteria is for merit or admissions. It could be simply that the other child filled a desired quality they were looking for. I agree it is futile to make assumptions.

I would not apply undecided because quite honestly for some schools it’s not that easy to get into the program after the fact. I know for Maryland and business the gateway requirements are very high. Engineering is easier, but I’d much rather my child have a direct admit than not if they know 100% what they want to study.

Yes. My daughter got 32k over 4 years and she was TO and in state.

4 Likes

do you mind sharing her W and UW GPA’s?

So far, the students who I’ve heard have done really well in test-optional admissions have had a 4.0 UWGPA or something very close to it, like a 3.98.

1 Like

She has a 4.0 UW, 4.75 W, ranked 1 in 274 (ish), 17 ap’s, lots of EC’s including varsity athlete and class president…

1 Like

My son was accepted into engineering school with 12.5k/yr presidential. OOS, 1590 SAT, 3.85 UW, NMSQT Finalist. Also accepted in VT & UVA engineering.

2 Likes

i got my financial aid offer of 5,500 but i never received an email about merit. does this mean i got none? i wouldn’t think i’d get none im a pretty average applicant

1 Like

My son was accepted into engineering at UMD, Purdue and VT. No merit at either Purdue or VT (neither school seems to give much merit), but received $12.5k per year Presidents scholarship at UMD. He’s OOS for all three schools, 1500 SAT, 4.0 UW. With UMD’s award, it brings all three schools to within about $4000 total cost from each other.

2 Likes