UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Good luck on your interview! Tell the faculty about your passions. You don’t have to be the most charming person in the world, but you do need to show that you are genuinely interested in learning. At least that’s my 2 cents. I wouldn’t worry too much about the 3.2 . I read somewhere that 3.2 is the average GPA for all UMD undergraduates. It’s probably unfair that all B/K students have to hold a 3.2, regardless of major, when some majors are more difficult than others, but that’s the way it is. I agree with the advice that you can be gentle on yourself first semester to get off to a strong start. Sign up for the required Communications class! If you find yourself struggling in any class, get a tutor! You are saving enough money with the scholarship. The 3.2 is cumulative, so if you get off to a strong start, you have a cushion built up. Plus, I believe that you are allowed to dip below the 3.2 for one semester. Just start strong.

2 Likes

I would plan to take the whole day off from school. When Banneker Key Day was in person, there were many presentations and you don’t want to miss any of them. Be sure to dress to impress!

2 Likes

Is a different amount given for in-state and out-of-state?

All semifinalists receive either the partial B/K or full B/K?

If the pattern is the same as last year, all semifinalists will receive either a partial or full B/K scholarship. Showing up for the interview makes you a finalist. After the results are back from the interviews, all finalists become B/K Scholars and are given their award results.

How did she not qualify for the B/K scholarship?

@amominnewjersey

You were offered 8K per year and according the UMD website for engineering, differential tuition is $2856 per year and is only paid for a max of 2 years (4 semesters). This was copied and pasted from the UMD website:

The breakdown of differential tuition charges for the 2020-2021 academic year is as follows:

• Full-time: $2,856 or $1,428 per semester
  • Part-time: $118 per credit

Regular, full-time students will be charged for no more than four semesters of undergraduate differential tuition.

Full page is here:
https://admissions.umd.edu/differential-tuition

Questions about Maryland 529.

We have the 4yr prepaid trust for our D21 and investment plan for our D25. Since UMD tuition is not increased that much, should I switch and use investment plan for D21 and save the 4 yr prepaid for D25. We will continue to contribute to the investment plan for D21 for tax purpose. The thinking is the tuition will increase in 4 years and other benefits in term of state tax savings.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, all who were notified as B/K semi-finalists (instae or OOS)will receive either partial or full B/K, and will be notified in March (in the past, before ‘Ivy Day’), partial B/K ($9250 per year for instate; $13250 for OOS) or full B/K ($24902 per year for instate and $51014 for OOS).

Thanks, @TechSup.

You’re absolutely right - I clearly didn’t read closely enough and missed that the differential tuition charges don’t exceed four semesters, so 8k would cover it with some leftover to put towards general tuition.

Still sadly a stretch for us OOS folks, but I appreciate the clarification. :slight_smile:

That’s a great question. The answer is maybe. The better question is what will the market forces to regarding the investment plan in the next four years vs the cost of tuition.

I completely understand taking the investment plan money now and saving the tuition plan for when/if tuition increase in cost. If the broader market, not sure how you’re invested, performs poorly and tuition prices increase you’ll get ahead.

On the other hand if the broader market continues to earn high returns and tuition stays flat or doesn’t greatly increase you’ll miss out on money. This is certainly the more risky but also potentially rewarding play.

I invested my children’s saving in the investment plan and feel long term it was a better investment based off of returns. Of course now I’m a little worried as I am open to market forces.

I don’t have an answer for you but I certainly do see value in both choices. Hopefully someone has a crystal ball and can give you a good answer.

1 Like

No clue! But we are happy with the offer.

We was going to take money from the investment plan and purchase the 4-yr prepaid and was shocked to see that it’s cost much more. It will cost 48K for 4 year to buy the prepaid plan today, which is about 8K more.

Yeah, so that guarantees a 20% total return for UMD. Unless they increase tuition by more than 5% every year they make out very well with that deal.

If you wanted to split the difference, you could always use part of the investment to purchase a year or two of tuition and leave the rest invested otherwise.

1 Like

Does anyone know when LLP placement for the honors college will be announced?

I am not sure for this year, but last year it was a week after the preference form was due.

For Scholars they said early March. Not sure if Honors is same time.

1 Like

For OOS, how difficult is it to change to an instate for the 2nd year if parents stay out-state and only student to become a Maryland resident?

https://www.registrar.umd.edu/Residency/resreclasspolicy.html

How to satisfy to 3rd requirement if a student does not have income tax to pay to Maryland?