UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

If the student has no income then they are probably a dependent and residency is determined by that person’s residency.

1 Like

Unless Maryland handles the residency issue drastically different from most states, it’s virtually impossible. Everyone would be paying in-state tuition after the first of year of college, right? We looked into this with our daughter wanting to go out-of-state to UNC 2 years ago.

2 Likes

I think if it was possible in any state, it would be well known. My daughter will pay rent for years in Delaware and pay OOS tuition.

1 Like

If your child was not offered B/K, then what would be the requirements for it?

1 Like

We are also OOS and got a lawn sign which made us laugh because we live in NYC in an apartment, so no lawn!

2 Likes

The requirements for B/K are whatever UMD chooses them to be. If you are not chosen you cannot apply later.

Right! If your child got a lot of merit money at other universities, then those might be better options. Some universities have clear-cut criteria for scholarship levels. UMD is not one of those universities. Honestly, the universities that have guaranteed scholarships for certain SATs and GPAs are likely in areas where not a huge number of local students score highly on the SAT (i.e. South Carolina, Alabama) or they are in areas where many students go to private colleges (i.e. the Northeast). UMD has a lot of students who apply from in-state with high test scores. It also has no problem filling seats.

1 Like

Someone posted in this thread about having a child with the following credentials: 4.0 UW, 4.75 W, ranked 1 in 274 (ish), 17 ap’s, lots of EC’s and that a scholarship was offered, not B/K though. How could these credentials not be one of UMD’s top applicants to qualify for B/K? Although there’s the test optional option, did UMD require a submission of a test to be eligible for B/K?

Read this…GPA and rigor are important…but one of many factors.
Truth is, we don’t know. My daughter got no scholarship - she’s in an LEP - does that matter because she can be easily replaced?

You just gotta roll with what they say.

2 Likes

sorry - meant to attach this link

Admission Review Factors and Process | UMD Undergraduate Admissions

1 Like

What day will regular decisions be made?

Do you think March 26, 2021?

B/K is mostly about top applicants but apparently it’s also broader than that. I personally think it’s about rewarding and “coaxing” certain special students that the college really would like to attend. On another thread a poster has a close friend with a 1400 SAT score getting an invite to B/K. Their desired major was architecture. Perhaps that was a component in UMD’s selection, perhaps it was something else they saw in the student’s application that prompted the choice. No one knows for sure. It’s apparently not just the highest 2% of statistics that get students an invite and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. UMD is ultimately selecting students for a reason, their reason. Even in UMD’s college acceptance I’m sure their are disparities and it’s not just the highest statistics that matter. I doubt TO would preclude students from being offered an invite. UMD wants a well rounded student body, how they get there is up to them.

3 Likes

TO? The applicant who I referenced in this thread posted very high statistics, was a high school athlete as well as did other activities and volunteering, definitely well-rounded.

My D. got 36 ACT, 1540 SAT, 4.0 UW/4.79 W and she was not chosen for B/K. I’m sure they don’t just based on stats alone. Maryland are loaded with high stats students and many of them applied to UMD so I’m sure they have to evaluate other areas or using merit to lure students to attend.

3 Likes

Maryland has tons of high scoring / high GPA students. Our NMF levels are usually the highest in the country along with DC and VA.

You certainly can’t look at scores or GPA in a vacuum. Also you have no idea what other compelling information was in their applications.

The school also doesn’t want 4500 of the same exact child either. So they are looking for lots of different factors to round out a diverse student class.

I agree with you so much

4 Likes

You asked about test optional (TO) and whether that might be why students didn’t get an invite to B/K. I don’t think that is the case and as others have said, high stats alone does not guarantee an invite. It is what it is.

UMD does NOT evaluate applicants based on someone’s per-conceived notions of what they should do.

Anyone who has followed this forum for a while will realize that.

2 Likes

Colleges aren’t looking for well-rounded students anymore. They are looking for a well-rounded student body. There is a difference. A well-rounded student body has great computer science students, humanities students, architecture students, linguistics students, etc. There are top students from all over the state, not just Montgomery County and Howard County. There are students from other states as well. There are athletes, dancers, musicians, thespians, activists. If everyone were a 1550 4.0 UWGPA computer science major from Potomac, UMD would be a boring place.

3 Likes

I would also say that applying TO can backfire on applicants, especially at UMD and other competitive, large state universities. If a student applies TO, but comes from an area of the country where the SAT was given several times, that’s a red flag. If a student applies TO, but several classmates from the same high school took the effort to take the SAT in December of junior year (not uncommon among top applicants) or signed up in a neighboring jurisdiction, that could be a red flag. It’s also possible that a student took a ton of AP’s but didn’t do well on the actual exams. I’m just guessing here. A strong GPA plus a strong test score counts a lot at UMD.

3 Likes

There is another important factor. There is a Maryland Board of Regents policy that requires Every public University to maintain a student population that is approximately 70% In-State.

Here are 2 relevant statements from the policy document:

“The inclusion within the student body of students from other states and countries contributes to cultural and political diversity and increases awareness of national and global perspectives for all members of the campus community. However, consistent with the responsibility of the USM as a public system of higher education to serve primarily the citizens of Maryland, and as stipulated in Section IV of the Board of Regents Policy on Admissions (III-4.00), the proportion of out-of-state undergraduate students in any institution, excluding University College, shall not exceed 30 percent of its total undergraduate student body.”

“Each institution may establish for out-of-state students standards that are higher than the undergraduate admission standards for in-state students. If a choice must be made between applicants of roughly comparable ability and promise, preference will be given to the Maryland resident.”

4 Likes