UMD - College Park Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Just curious, do they ever offer direct admit for someone originally placed into Letters and Sciences to LEP like Comp Sci later in the process as some accepted students decide to enroll elsewhere? Same for original Spring Admits being offered official Fall status?
Does that ever happen?

March 26-April 1 is the likely range for RD

1 Like

I have not seen that happen. UMD knows that less than 1/3 of the students that they admit actually enroll and they plan accordingly. Last year UMD had over 32,000 applications. They admitted over 16,000 and had a Freshman Class of 4,313.

3 Likes

That’s crazy! I spoke with the director of admissions and he told me that they had approximately 57,000 applications for the class of 2025.

1 Like

The numbers I listed are for the UMD Class of 2024. That is why I said “Last Year”. The Class of 2024 numbers that I stated have been officially released by UMD in multiple sources, including the Common Data Set

57K seems quite high. The fall 2020 class was closer to 39K when you include transfers and other. A 46% increase is huge if the quoted figure is accurate.

Is it known how many are usually offered Honors College?

Are the qualification standards known for B/K?

You’ve already asked this.

Our CC did tell us they went way up with the common app (this was their first year using it) but I thought I heard 25% increase.

I guess we will find out soon enough. Maryland usually sends out an alumni email about the new class so I’ll know over the summer sometime.

There is no qualification standard. There is no level of test score, GPA, etc, etc, that will guarantee anyone an invite to B/K.

UMD chooses students to invite into the program based on who they think they want in the program. UMD is not like some other colleges that automatically give merit, etc. UMD has it’s own unique system and there’s really no way to predict who will be chosen for any of their programs or merit.

It is what it is. It’s been that way. Every school is different in how they operate.

So, there’s no way to predict what will qualify anyone for an invite to B/K, It just happens.

2 Likes

On an honors information session last fall, they said 25-30% are offered Honors.

1 Like

There are also pathways to join honors after your freshman year and self-nominate for scholars if that is something your child is interested in.

3 Likes

just a correction to what I posted before. The B/K invite went to 400 people – roughly 2% of 18000 or so EA applicants.

Can anyone rank the freshman residence halls from best to worst? Thanks!

Hey there - I’m the one who posted those stats about my daughter. I do agree with others replying here- no matter what my daughter’s stats are they are looking for something for B/K and she wasn’t it this year. That’s really ok - they offered her a lot of merit through the Presidential Scholarship and between that and my benefits at work it is a full ride. Our bigger issue is she probably wants to go to UNC Chapel Hill - and although she got into honors she didn’t get much merit! You just never know!

Depends on what you want or are looking for. Maryland residential life has a comparison chart on the web

Talks about number of kids sharing a bathroom, co-ed, floors, AC, etc.

1 Like

Prince Frederick is like a hotel. Anne Arundel is like a bed-and-breakfast (without the breakfast).

Congrats to your daughter! She has great options. I think that UNC is known more for generous financial aid for a public, not for merit. Every school is different!

1 Like

Also, the main thing is that unless your child is choosing among different honors communities, he doesn’t really get to pick his dorm. Most freshmen get assigned randomly.

1 Like