UMiami name recognition??? Any Alums?!

<p>Ok so I'm doing my MBA (I know wrong forum, but that section is dead) at a regional school in PA. It's a decent school, AACSB accredited and all that, but no one has heard of it south of the Mason-Dixon line. I would like to live in VA, TN, NC, or CA some day. </p>

<p>Anyway I can finish up my studies at UMiami for an additional $40k. Assuming that doesn't throw me into debt, do you think the name is worth it? Or am I giving the name more value than its worth simply because they denied me for undergrad and go by "The U"?</p>

<p>Although I’m not in business, I have a fair number of friends who are, and the gist of what I hear from them is that business programs tend to restrict your connections to the region/area the school is located in. For example, a business degree from Miami will get some serious recognition from many in the South Florida area, but beyond that not so much. Now, the alumni network for UM is fairly extensive, so there are possibilities beyond the immediate South Florida area, but if you’re looking to live and work somewhere else, I’d possibly try to find another school closer to the area you’re aiming for.</p>

<p>DS went to UM undergrad, now at another school in Florida getting his Masters…just went through recruiting and signed on to work for a firm in Florida after he graduates. (Yay) Most who were recruited were wanting jobs in Florida and that is why the recruiters were there, for their FL offices. So, I agree, that recruiters from that particular area will go to the place where you are getting your Masters. If you want to work in Florida, then go to school in Florida. That is not saying you can’t get a job elsewhere, but you will have to find your future job another way (such as online applications)</p>

<p>Look, my niece is doing Business at UMiami (undergrad) and she loves it, however she will live here in Florida. UMiami will give you great connections in Florida and South America because many local and international business recruit at UMiami. My friend did business in his undergrad in a college up north and law at UMiami (he is not Latin ) and now he lives in Brazil an is a partner in a big American law firm. He was recruited right out of college because they knew he spoke Portuguese and Spanish and was familiar with the Latin culture.</p>

<p>My advice is to see which companies attend the job/career fair at Miami You will get an idea of who is recruiting there. My daughter is a junior at Miami (not a business major) and has had internships in NYC, LA and Cannes. My son graduated from UF (Gainesville) and accepted a job in Seattle before he graduated. Attending college in Miami and Florida never limited their career opportunities geographically.</p>