UMiami v Penn State, ONE DAY TO DECIDe

<p>I have been accepted to both schools' honors colleges. I am bioengineering as of now and am thinking along the premed track. However, I am also interested in business.
My twin sister is in the same situation and she is business.
Any advice would be appreciated. We are having an extremely difficult time.
We both received scholarships to Miami, so PSU is only slightly less expensive. We are from PA.</p>

<p>Hugh rah rah vs medium/small size rah rah…have you visited both?</p>

<p>Very diff environments/culture…</p>

<p>I would imagine class size would be smaller at UM…</p>

<p>do you want warm weather, or cold?</p>

<p>do you want to be close to home, or farther away?</p>

<p>Since I am in PSU’s honors, I would have to option to take smaller honors classes. I have visited both and liked Miami more, mainly based on climate and smaller size.</p>

<p>Honestly, given that you are in honors in both schools you really can’t go wrong academically; it’s a matter of fit otherwise…I’m assuming that you and your twin are making independent decisions.</p>

<p>@OP - you answered your own question. You prefer Miami. Go to Miami.</p>

<p>If you’re looking at reputation…</p>

<p>In terms of overall ranking, the schools are tied at #47, so that really shouldn’t be an issue. It comes down to personal preference for the school environments.</p>

<p>In terms of admissions, UM is much more competitive. UM accepts ~36% of its applicants, Penn State accepts 50% of applicants.
UM’s…SAT scores: R: 590-680 M: 620-700 W: 580-680
Penn State’s SAT Scores: R: 530-630 M: 560-670 W: 530-640
U M average admitted GPA: 3.8
Penn State average a. GPA: 3.55</p>

<p>But, overall, there’s not much of a difference in the reputation of the two schools. UM is more competitive, but that’s minor. I recommend you go with the school that best fits your personality.</p>

<p>If you think you will enjoy UM more, I recommend you pick UM.</p>

<p>I was in your exact same situation, in-state tuition to PSU vs. scholarship to Miami. I chose Miami.</p>

<p>If you like Miami, go to Miami, especially since it’s probably not much more expensive with your scholarship. In-state to PSU is not cheap and IMO it’s worth it to spend a little extra for a private school. Especially with these state budget crises and I just read that the Gov. of PA wants to cut funding to higher education.</p>

<p>Given your information I think Penn state would be better fit for you.</p>