UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

2021 numbers, from Michigan Almanac 18th Edition (June 2022).

3 Likes

Our fam is in-state Michigan. My son is a sophomore at Purdue (engineering). My daughter is accepted at IU-Kelley, but awaiting results of her UM-Ross application. I’m not certain which she would choose between UM and IU if it comes to that. You’ve got some great in-state options. I love sifting thru all the data for applications/yield/etc. But the reality is, no matte how the numbers shake out - successful, driven high school students will likely be successful - regardless of the specific campus they choose. I hope your student finds a great fit.

4 Likes

Both great options and affordable for instate.

Kelly had great outcomes. Go to where it’s more affordable. In the end not having large debt is key.

1 Like

That’s clear, agreed. I think you have to get up to almost a 90% yield in-state to model anything close to “just over double the acceptance rate for in-state vs OOS” refrain. That comes out to very roughly 15 (OOS) and 38 (IS). Would it kill them to publish this? I suppose it might deter many of the 73,700 OOSers and those app fees add up.

That crush of applications begs a more transparent rendering of the role AI plays in the process beyond “every application is reviewed at least once.”

It has also led to moving the EA decisions to late January which can be frustrating but more importantly expensive to those who already love Michigan the most. One can be a very strong, committed applicant, but no one is a safe accept these days (as this medium constantly exclaims). So there goes another ~$1k in application fees to schools you wish to attend much less. Or why not just move to binding ED (I &II) as yet another option? Non binding IN January does little good.

Perhaps I’m unwittingly arguing for an even greater AI role in the process - which I find an abomination.

Michigan should run things the way they wish to, and its current and enduring popularity ensures it will, but until it better addresses/prepares for the current application surge, it finds itself structurally at odds with transparency and ultimately its professed concern for expense to very, very interested applicants.

Am I still talking?

Thank you very much. So very helpful. Guessing the Fall 22 #s (additional 5k applicants) are then about right at 15%OOS/38%IS acceptance rate. And likely tighter still for Fall 23 admission.

This forum has done some appreciable good for posterity.

2 Likes

I can tell you with fact that Michigan does not do demonstrated interest. I know an ex admission officer from there (who left 2 years ago) and they do not track it or care for it.

3 Likes

That could be true, but just for the record, the Michigan 2021-2022 CDS states that “level of interest” is “considered,” as opposed to a checkmark in the column named “not considered.”

Personally, I have no clue, either way.

1 Like

Well, from the school my son went to is that they do want demonstrated interest and everyone I know whose applied this is a theme to some extent in the application. It’s something I stress with those that I have helped and gotten accepted also. If it’s my kid I am having them show some.

2 Likes

The Common App has a Michigan-specific section called “Contacts” that allows an applicant to choose from a drop down list of different Michigan-related contacts the applicant has had. They are to rank up to 10 in order of influence in learning about Michigan.

Schools like Michigan don’t like extra materials because they have so many apps to review. This section — which is pretty much a laundry list of demonstrated interest — may not be heavily weighted, but I can’t imagine that they don’t look at it at all if they are asking.

1 Like

My son who is a freshman reviewed his application in October. His strong demonstrated interest with 2 campus visits was noted on the review form. Michigan cares about DI particularly on campus visits. As an OOS applicant with three kids who were accepted, they each made a point to show DI and check in for tours on campus. Of note, there was no mention of him attending sessions at his school or bringing blue to you sessions which is why I noted campus visits. We have family ties to the area and legacy ties that also came out in the application. Even if they dont use DI for application, it is definitely taken into consideration for possible yield.

6 Likes

What in particular was he looking for when he went in to review his admissions file? (I’ve wondered what drives someone to do that. )

1 Like

If they do want demonstrated interest, that hasn’t been made clear to college counselors OOS–at least, for LSA. We asked a few times and were assured our child didn’t need to visit. Maybe the school has enough of a track record of kids being accepted (or not) regardless of whether they visited.

1 Like

Wow, I need to check with my D if she listed any

1 Like
2 Likes

Visiting is only one way to demonstrate it. They will never hold that against anyone since many oos and international students that can’t.

5 Likes

AO’s from Michgian who have also come to our high school which is OOS have all said that they do not track demonstrated interest. As per the rep this year, “Michigan doesn’t need to as they have lots of interest.” The only form of somewhat demonstrated interest that is tracked but does not count heavily anymore only when they need to make a decision between candidates is legacy. Per my friend who was an admission officer at Michigan up until 2 years ago and still has several friends there who are admissions officers, and legacy is even dwindling down in importance. You would have to have been a strong contributor to Michigan to have legacy mean much, i.e. NFL player, important researcher, just not the everyday student.

And as for the CDS, those are not always maintained accurately. Just the statistics portions will be updated every year, i.e. applications received, admitted, enrolled, etc.

3 Likes

This info is 2 years old, but it does mention IS vs OOS acceptance rates and yield rates – yield is way lower for OOS than IS (28% vs 70%). This is inline with what the Ga Tech admissions director talks about for IS vs OOS yield – much, much harder to yield students OOS (Rick Clark has an excellent blog / podcast about college admissions in general).

I post Rick Clark’s blog on Michigan threads yearly. His information is right on and humorous, but direct.

Not surprising to see a much lower yield for OOS. This is the case at all public schools. OOS cost is usually significantly higher than in-state options, barring significant merit aid at the OOS school. For most people it’s tough to pass up the in-state “deal”.

5 Likes