UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Any ideas how an OOS with legacy and family all in MI can show DI (even though they have chapel hill IS). Want to assuage fears of messing up Yield!

1 Like

Thanks. I think the Almanac mentioned above is as factual as we can get - and I think it’s safe to assume it’s even tighter for OOS in particular this year.

One other source that seems authoritative is from this podcast. An AO representative is interviewed and addresses directly several of the concerns mentioned in this forum. Legacy, DoI, and others.

Does having a low OOS yield positively or negatively impact OOS admissions? I would assume that if a college’s OOS yield is low, then they need to make more offers to OOS kids in order to meet their intended instate-OOS ratios, but from the way it is being discussed I think I’m misunderstanding how this works.

1 Like

OOS tuition is pretty high. Just 10k less than private.
I hope the low oos yield means more offers

Michigan doesn’t run like a typical public. They run more like a private school. Family avg income is like $167,000. They could easily take 100%out of state but that would never happen

Legacy doesn’t mean as much anymore.

Can’t just show interest at the last minute. But applying early does signal your interest.

Just a few more weeks…

And is #9 in the US for largest endowments. And #2 in R&D budgets.

Adding, that many of their academic departments and schools are ranked in the Top 10 in the US.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response. We’ll see what happens. The waiting is so difficult. ugh

3 Likes

In state by this article is about 40%. They say this is based on 2022 data but I think that isn’t out yet?

1 Like

What is readily disclosed in official UM documents are total applicants and number of IS and OOS enrollees up through Fall 22 admission cycle. Above it was mentioned that ~87.5% of applicants are OOS. So you can then model, based on variable yields, for IS & OOS acceptance rates. This is otherwise not disclosed conveniently by UM despite the dramatically different numbers. BUT above someone smartly shared the MI state almanac that shows the real numbers through Fall 21 (no modeling). The almanac #s (and an assumption of EVEN MORE applicants this year) offer the best breadcrumbs as you wait out the final (probably) 15-22 days. The melded general acceptance rate is of little use. There are lots of reasons for UM to not make this info convenient and lots of reasons to expect that will not change (85k and growing, namely).

Acceptance rate by gender - though not dramatically different - would also be interesting to know year to year as well.

A couple years ago (4 maybe?) Mich, NYU, and Penn State along with the Cal state schools had the top ten largest applicant pools (UM was 10 of 10). Doubtful that cohort has changed much but the number of applicants HAS grown, selectivity rates have grown tighter, and applicant credentials have grew stronger accordingly. In its history - truly year over year for the past several - it has never been better, or at least more competitive, to be a Wolverine. Good luck to all.

1 Like

The one thing that I/we noticed in last the last two admission’s cycles, anecdotally here on CC, is that CC posters from both in-state and OOS “feeder” schools, the “usual suspects,” expressed much disappointment that Michigan had not taken the same # of applicants from those “feeder” schools.

I’d be very interested in seeing a new study, like the one posted above by me, about which HS’s are now sending the most (or not) enrollees to Michigan.

2 Likes

Truly. Great question. The ratio was 10% of US high schools got half the accepts? Is that the right number? I may be wrong but I believe the faddish AO term for this is “reach.” Doesn’t necessarily change credentials but it does make it good to be from Presque Isle, Maine or an inner city school in Houston as opposed to Winnetka.

Also don’t really know how a tight feeder circle compares with other top 25 National U/25 Lib Arts Colleges. The study only looked at UM? It would probably have a lot of feeders in common with other (all) top schools. 85k+ only magnifies it.

Further suspect there are all sorts of similarly crude but actuarially sound triage methods (like tight feeder circles) deployed to take 85k applicants down to 15.5 acceptances. I don’t know what else they are supposed to do - this isn’t Haverford, even at the bitter end.

And there is little evidence that Michigan is not at least ALREADY doing its part to at least attract an incredible breadth of students.

If reach is a goal it will absolutely result in more arbitrary rejections of otherwise qualified applicants. Just as, some could argue, the current feeder system results in some subjective leaps of faith/benefits of the doubt getting through that system at the expense of rural/urban kids outside the well worn paths.

This being reality and not make believe, development offices will likely weigh in on reach eventually, as well. But that is still years away.

1 Like

I am so nervous about decisions this month!! Hoping to be an admitted Wolverine soon!! Good luck to everyone!! :partying_face: :yellow_heart: :blue_heart:

5 Likes

My son applied EA 2021, was deferred, and accepted in March. He is currently a sophomore.

His school has Trimester calendar and 1st Trimester ends in late November so grades would have been received by UMich well before December. Did not seem to help him avoid deferral.

3 Likes

Does UMich require official ACT and AP scores sent directly from the testing company or Is self-report good enough for now?

Referring to their website, it’s rather clear:

***We will allow for self reported test scores for the 2022-23 season; the scores do not need to come from the testing agency. If you have not yet had your scores reported, you can have them sent to us using these links:

ACT (U-M Code is 2062)

SAT (U-M code is 1839)

2 Likes

dude im so nervous. I got rejected from Notre Dame and Michigan is my top but idk…

4 Likes

I am getting nervous as well. I hate when they say"by end of January" for decison. My son applied EA to engineering last yr and at 3pm on Jan.28th his came out. My D is applying to LSA this yr and i am a reck! She has the qualifications but there all so many apps. Last yr we knew of other EA kids getting acceptances bt. End if Dec and mid Jan. So when they say they release all at once i tend to not believe that. We are all on egg shells here!

2 Likes

I’m always amused when parents say stuff like this. I guess they all forgot that they had to write every school’s application by hand or on a typewriter, go to the corner and put the envelopes in a blue box and then wait for an unspecified date months in the future when the mailman (as they were called back then) arrived with either a thick or thin envelope.

5 Likes

I agree–it feels like it could be faster since the technology is faster. But, I definitely didn’t know where I was going until April or even May–when that unexpected envelope arrived on the last day possible.

There’s a great YA novel–Frankly in Love, by David Yoon–where the high stats kids opt to go “old school,” and receive their acceptances/rejections by mail. I wonder if that’s actually an option?

Most here won’t know where they are going until Mid April for Michigan. All EA should come out at the same time for the schools that release. After the EA release the RD release will be from February - April. If your not selected in the EA round you are now in the RD round. People have to get used to this concept but… If you really want to go here then it’s worth the wait . Every year people drop out since they don’t want to wait and it’s like Michigan’s fault but right on their website they give the rules.

Requirements & Deadlines | University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

3 Likes