UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Question re: Ross … last year they received 8680 Direct/Preferred Admit Applications and accepted 860 (10%) for a class of about 500. Since you have to be admitted to UofM before being considered for Ross, were all of those 8680 admitted and then considered for Ross or was it a smaller number of already admitted applicants?

So if I am understanding your question… I doubt they admitted everyone that applied. So there are actually 2 things that have to occur. You have to apply EA AND get your portfolio in by Nov 1st. Then they will review your app for admittance. If your accepted to the university then it goes on to Ross for consideration. If your portfolio gets there Nov 2 or later then this review is pushed back.

I think smaller. At 8600 that would be about half of all admits to university.

Agreed, I doubt they admit everyone that applied so the question is if that figure of 8680 students is the total that applied or just the ones that were admitted to Michigan and then subsequently considered for Ross. My suspicion is that it is the former in which case, my question is how many students are actually being considered for Ross, that is how many of the original 8680 were admitted to Michigan in order to be considered for Ross?

I haven’t seen that number being posted actually
Same with EA.

I am curious about this as well. My assumption is that the 7,820 (8680-860) applications denied is the sum of the EA/RD business applications rejected by UMich admissions plus the EA/RD applications accepted into UMich rejected by Ross.

So I did the same figuring when my son was a student at Michigan… Lol trying to figure this all out. Question is… What is everyone doing with this information? Are you dropping your application? No matter how you dice it… It’s really hard to get accepted into Michigan at any level.

2 Likes

Your logic makes sense to me. As someone else said, the magic question is what is the percentage of UMich applicants who are accepted to LSA and are then accepted to Ross. To my knowledge, UMich does not release enough information in order to figure that out.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a matter calculating odds … if Ross accepts 860/8680, that’s a 10% acceptance rate. But say half the 8680 applicants are admitted to Michigan, then only 4340 are in contention for the 860 slots so the acceptance rate becomes 20% for Ross when already accepted to Michigan. If perchance Michigan’s overall acceptance rate of 22% is applied to the 8680 applicant pool, then only 1910 students are being considered for Ross and each has a 45% (860/1910) shot at being accepted. Still super hard to get accepted but the point being if you’ve already been accepted to Michigan, your chance of getting into Ross improves dramatically.

4 Likes

I tend to agree with your thinking. The 8680 cannot seem to be the number already admitted to Michigan, as it will be more than 50% of the total admits from Michigan in a single year…

1 Like

I think that’s the logic, while recognizing the assumption here is that the acceptance rate for Ross applicants equals to that for the overall application pool.

The overall acceptance rate in 2022 was 17.7% per the document linked below.

You’re absolutely correct.

I think another piece of the puzzle is of the Ross applicants that will be accepted, how many will attend the university, if rejected by Ross. I assume part of that equation is what major in LSA, or one of the other schools is chosen along with the potential of a Ross degree.

For example, an applicant who has chosen economics as their LSA major, MAY potentially look less likely to attend UMich, if rejected by Ross, than someone who has chosen a language as their major. or even a dancer (SMTD), or an applicant to School of Architecture, STAMPS, CoE, Kinesiology, etc.

1 Like

100% this. And just to add to that…it is evident that Michigan is very holistic in their approach to selecting their diverse class, and like you said, they can only take so many perfect scores, so many quarterbacks… Point being, my older son was admitted in 2020 EA, had very good stats obviously - but if he was selected on just GPA and ACT/SAT alone, I don’t think he would have gotten accepted, at least not in EA. I really do believe that they read everything and look for your ‘story’ and how you can be a contributor to the university. A few of his roommates had near perfect scores on every level and were deferred and one was even wait-listed. However, all of them are excelling in their majors and in the end, Michigan was the perfect fit for all of them - accepted early or not. Not saying that there won’t be students who end up getting missed on acceptances who would have also been great fits - but more so saying that there is a lot more to the whole decision than just to be ‘qualified’.

2 Likes

Any insight on whether worth it to apply to Honors (essays are hard and after all these essays this fall my son having hard time motivating to do it!)? Additionally should he apply for scholarship for LSA as an email suggests? Guess it can’t hurt- we are out of state- have no need so would be all merit. He has not decided where he wants to go yet (hasn’t visited U of M yet but plan to in March)

2 Likes

I’ll give you my opinion.

Honors guarantees you housing in South Quad, Honors gets it own floor(s), and you get your own Honors advisor and a few smaller perks (e.g., honors’ parties, community events, etc.).

But it’s really about living in South Quad, where there’s a dining hall and the freshman athletes live as well. When you graduate, the School will note your Honors graduation with an asterisk in the booklet of grads they hand out to attendees when you walk in the door.

It’s really not a thing, otherwise, say like ASU Barrett or some of the other top Honors Colleges.

You can still graduate Michigan with various honors and distinctions (see link below) at Michigan and not be in the Honors program. My D18 did graduate with some of these, but she did not particpate in the Honors program. There’s a difference.

So, IMO, it’s really about the guarantee of South Quad (Central Campus) housing. D18 got assigned to live in West Quad, which is much nicer (and quieter) than South Quad, I think, but you have to cross the street to eat at the South Quad dining hall.

It’s up to the individual to decide, if the extra work is worth it or not.

2 Likes

Well you forgot about the all illusive Honors Sweat shirt.

Honors does have independent research, special lectures, classes. You can also make your own major per se.

My son also graduated with honors in engineering and never took honors classes etc but it is just another way to make a large university small. It is also being with like minded students and that isn’t really a bad thing.

There’s plenty of research opportunities at the #2 research university in the country and most classes will not be honors classes.

In many cases, you will have to approach professors in order to get the honors designation for the “regular” class, since the Honors version probably isn’t offered.

You can find a cohort anywhere at Michigan since the average uwGPA is 3.9. :wink: It’s not Alabama.

ETA: The shirt is nice though.

Your preaching to the choir. Just trying to make it sound good. Some people like groups and this is just one. My son never applied since he said Michigan is hard enough without it :wink:… Well, still get a cool sweatshirt that they don’t sell at MDen… Lol (but do on-line.)

2 Likes

I have a little bit of a different take on honors. Most kids at Michigan can be academically challenged, do research, find someone to sponsor independent study, and surround themselves with “like-minded” peers without being in the honors college. But if your son has a particular passion or is exceptionally intellectually curious such that he always seeks supplemental work outside of his assigned work, honors might be the place to start.

I wanted my daughter to apply to honors and/or the RC because she is OOS and wouldn’t know a soul before arriving on campus. It seemed like a good way to make school feel smaller. She said she just wanted to be a regular student for a little while. Now, as a junior, she has done research and will do an independent project next year. She needed to get her feet socially and emotionally and academically before she was ready to take on the extras.

Other kids will be ready immediately and won’t need the extra time my daughter did. They will want to dive into the extra academics. One way isn’t right or wrong.

Also, not choosing honors doesn’t doom a student to being a second class student, just as being in it isn’t a recipe for success. My daughter and her friend in honors both applied to application-only majors as sophomores. My daughter was accepted and her friend wasn’t.

Good luck with the decision. Either way he chooses will work out.

5 Likes

The “intellectually curious” and “more work” remarks above made me think about minors at UMich. So, just an FYI.

UMich encourages minors. In fact, they don’t limit the # of minors a student can receive. So, if a UMich student desires to explore other departments at Michigan, whether in LSA, for example CS, or minors in/from other schools, like Ross (must apply and be accepted), then Michigan will let you achieve them, assuming you satisfy the prereq’s and GPA requirements.

D18 received two minors and, surprisingly, even the department/school minors get to attend and are recognized at that department’s or school’s graduation ceremonies. We got to attend 3 grad ceremonies (one for her major, one each for the minors) last Spring.

ETA: And there’s the possibility of a dual major/degree too.

3 Likes