UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

I originally guessed Friday, March 24, so my guesses aren’t worth much at this point. I would think they would be motivated to announce before Thursday, but I don’t have a strong feeling one way or another. There are usually people on the Michigan threads at this time of year reporting rumors from neighbors, discussions with AOs, signs from reading tea leaves, etc., and there has been little to none of that this year. I don’t know if the relative quiet indicates anything at all. If you made me guess, I would say Wednesday, but your Friday prediction could be right, too (but not because they only release on Fridays).

4 Likes

So next Friday is March 31. Michigan website says “Early” April for their release. March 31 is not early April.:sob:

I can’t see them releasing then and Early April at this point but it seems like they might do something different this year. I have opinions but will keep them to myself. I am not hearing local buzz either… Hmmmm

In the postponement email it said BY early April but yes that could definitely include dates in April obviously. Do you think they may wait even longer so the Ivy acceptances withdraw and their yield is more accurate?

2 Likes

Has anyone received notification of the outcome of their LEAD scholarship applications? My daughter hasn’t heard anything. Thanks!

I’m not sure what difference the timing makes here. The students have until May 1 to make a decision either way. Even if Michigan had released RD two weeks ago, the kids who also applied to an Ivy League school or Duke or Vandy or wherever were going to wait - it’s not like they’d start packing for Ann Arbor without waiting to hear from every other place they applied if Michigan wasn’t their clear top choice.

2 Likes

This is very true plus it’s not a 1:1 ratio. Students not accepted now might already be on their waitlist list. Not on their maybe RD list anyway. It’s all speculation. But… Soon enough we will all know.

Thats if you are assuming Michigan is their top choice. The majority of kids if they are gunning for Michigan are going to also be applying to a few Ivys. Ive gone through this process twice in the last few years, and hearing from my kids friends, and guidance counselors at the school. (Also Michigan defers a ton of kids from competitive high schools in the early round for this very reason). If given a choice, a kid will grab the spot at an Ivy if Ivy acceptances are first. All you need to do is check out some senior commit pages from any competiive HS on Instagram - specifically last year in the evening on March 31st and this year on March 30th and you will see. Michigan releasing after the Ivys is going to make a difference, not the other way around.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand the logic. It is not like these kids who hear from Ivies on 3/30 then withdraw their Michigan app permitting Michigan to withdraw them from the pool/protecting yield. There is not enough time for Michigan to change any decision (assuming those students even get around to withdrawing within 12-24 hours).

1 Like

I said “…if Michigan wasn’t their top choice” so I’m not sure where you read the assumption of “Michigan is their top choice” into my post. :wink:

Either way, I think you’re making precisely the point I was trying to make - if a kid’s applied to both Michigan and Harvard, they’re not going to jump on an offer from Michigan just because it comes March 15, before they hear from Harvard, so what difference does it make? The final result will be the same regardless of where Michigan sits in the order of releases for any kid who’s trying to get into the Ivies (or any of the other uber-selective schools).

Separate but interesting debate topic - I’m not sure about the theory that it’s most likely Michigan applicants are also Ivy applicants. Certainly, there’s a good bit of overlap, but let’s not forget that Michigan’s probably in the Reach or Virtually No Chance category for 50% or more of the kids applying there. I know they can spray Common Apps all over the place these days and go test optional anywhere, but I think most students know where they sit. It was sort of a “moderate reach” for our D, who visited one Ivy school and had no interest in applying to any of them after that. She decided to use her ED application elsewhere and knew she’d have virtually no shot at an Ivy in Regular Decision, anyway. I’m sure she’s not the only one in either of those categories. There are tons of kids who want publics or D-1 sports, etc.

1 Like

I thought that they would release decisions before Ivy Day, not related yield or any expectation that any of those students would withdraw because they got into an Ivy. I expected it to be before Ivy Day because almost every other school does. It’s almost as if Ivy Day wraps up decision season. Kids are still open until that point, but after Ivy Day they feel like all the cards are on the table. It’s more that kids would decide on Wisconsin or UTAustin or wherever after Ivy Day if they don’t have the Michigan decision.

I do think many kids who apply SCEA to Ivy schools also apply EA to Michigan bc they can. But I think there are a fair number of UM applicants who are looking for a larger and more rah-rah-athletics environment than the Ivys offer – with great academics and reputation. The vibe at UM is so different than most of the Ivys, really all of them. Feels like if students were looking for “fit” and not just prestige, they wouldn’t look at both, but I know there is a ton of overlap.

1 Like

100% agree

I am generally in line with this way of thinking. Maybe some of these schools are trying to play games with timing, almost like trying to time the market. But perhaps as the kids say these days, “It’s not that deep”.

Let’s face it, many of our kids are into some terrific schools thus far, whether UT-Austin, UC schools, Northwestern, Georgia, Wisconsin, etc. Many of them have been into one of their top choices for weeks. Many of them are seeing their friends committing to a ton of good schools. And many of them are at their wits end, losing patience, and just want this process to be done.

Ergo, Michigan is playing with fire by waiting so long. Coming out after Ivy Day is ballsy. That simply is what it is. They’ll fill their class, they’ll be fine, but they have “lost” and are starting to “lose” and lose people by this point. My .02 cents.

15 Likes

You summed it up perfectly! and “It’s not that deep” is my favorite new expression.

2 Likes

Thank you. And I left off the “bro”. “It’s not that deep, bro”, to which I respond, “Maybe it is that deep, and I’m not your bro”… :wink:

4 Likes

I know what people have said above, but HS seniors do choose Michigan over an Ivy, probably not very often, but they do. I know of one personally. :wink:

Also, last cycle, I know we had at least one HS senior who for whatever reason chose Michigan Ross over Wharton. Maybe rare as hen’s teeth, but Michigan does have a lot to offer, specifically many departments with top 10 rankings, plus a football team in the CFP and a hockey team in the Frozen Four. :rofl:

ETA: Anyone catch the regional final yesterday between Penn State and Michigan. Great game!

4 Likes

And in-state tuition. Huge factor that could easily put Michigan over any Ivy for home grown students

1 Like

Waitlists would start moving very quickly for Michigan. The same happens at UChicago, the waitilists start to move second week of April, early May. The kids who hear from Ivies on 3/30 and commit that night (it happens way more than you think) would then withdraw everywhere else. Michigan wouldnt change any decision, their waitlists would have movement sooner.

1 Like

“Coming out after Ivy Day is ballsy.” Love it! And very true.

1 Like

i would think most kids who commit to an Ivy on 3/30 arent taking the time to go withdraw from Michigan. Most kids don’t withdraw they just don’t enroll

5 Likes