UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Do the SMI students get to live in a dorm and have the opportunity to buy football student tickets in the fall? If not a dorm then where do they live? And do they take classes at a local community college or not at all?

I was accepted EA to the CoE at UMich, and I just got accepted to the CoE at Carnegie Mellon today too! Wondering if anyone has any suggestions now that I have to choose between UMich and CMU for Mechanical Engineering. Financial aid packages are good at both places, CMU costs a little more, but not much. UMich is closer to home but I like the smaller campus feel at CMU. If anyone has experience with either of these colleges or any advice for me, that would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Congratulations on two great acceptances.
You should really ask this question in a separate thread.

Good luck.

1 Like

Congratulations on your acceptances! I attended Carnegie Mellon and I have a student at Michigan.

I can’t speak to the engineering programs because neither of us is an engineer, but the college experiences are totally different. It sounds like you have visited both, so I am sure that you realize that the schools are diametrically opposed in so many ways.

My daughter loves Ann Arbor, loves the work hard/play hard mentality, enjoys the incredible opportunities she has had because of how big the school is and how strong it is in many areas, and — of course — loves the sports.

I really liked Carnegie Mellon’s physical campus, too. It does feel like a self-contained campus, even though it has open borders with city neighborhoods. It is much more of a work hard/work hard culture, and meant for kids who liked to grind.

I happened to look at undergraduate engineering rankings today, and Michigan is #6 and Carnegie Mellon is #7. At least for US News & World Reports, their ranking is similar. There may be differences in pedagogy or other academic factors, but overall you are choosing between two really strong schools.

Which place felt more comfortable? They are great choices, so i would go with whatever you like better. Maybe a second visit at each would help to clarify.

(If I knew then what now, I would probably attend Michigan, but that doesn’t mean it’s better.)

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I really appreciate this feedback and hearing more from someone who is familiar with both schools. I will likely do a second visit / campus day for admitted students at each of them to learn more and see which is a better fit. Thank you for your insight!

1 Like

What I would do is do a deeper dive into the school and see what types of activities and clubs you might join or interest you. The schools are equals when it comes to your fields. On each thread they will say their school is better. Forget rankings when the schools are at this level. Your coming away with a job.

Really do you want a typical college experience at a national level with the large football games and rah rah, or do you like the smaller campus with less going on when it comes down to that. Neither is better or worse. You know the rankings of Michigan’s campus and Ann Arbor and even if you don’t like football seeing it in a stadium with 112,000 is really something to behold. Most majors are ranked in the top 10.

Most of your classes first year are on central then you move to north campus for engineering but can live anywhere.

Go to Facebook groups for students etc on both. That might give you insight and see if your people are there.

You have two fantastic choices and can’t really go wrong. I would say after doing a deeper dive into both schools that fit would be most important at this point. Rankings etc don’t really matter in this comparison. Good Luck.

2 Likes

have any accepted LSA students received a 4 year renewable scholarship? i submitted my application within a week of being accepted but i’m worried because i haven’t received anything

1 Like

When does UM’s RD come out?

They have not announced a date.

edited to add: The website says “ Final decisions will be released by early April 2023.” At this point, anything more specific is just a guess.

2 Likes

I would assume this upcoming Friday at 3 pm est based on history.

2 Likes

After Ivy Day, though?

1 Like

Decisions are usually always out on a Friday. It’s really not in their best interest to release after Ivy Day, but I don’t think there’s a chance that they’ll release beforehand.

3 Likes

I don’t understand the issue with Ivy day and releasing after- can you explain?

2 Likes

That’s really not the case. As recently as 2020, EA was on a Wednesday or Thursday and there were weekday announcements in many of the preceding years. I will look through this thread, but maybe @Knowsstuff or @sushiritto has the historical dates handy.

2 Likes

Please excuse me for quoting myself. :slight_smile:

ETA: Added 2023. It’s Sunday, so I’ll get the time for 2023 later., but IIRC, it was 3:01, but I’ll check later. :grinning:

2 Likes

In years 2016 - 2020, EA was released in a Wednesday or Thursday. In the 5 years prior and after, it was a Friday.

I was cross-posting. Thanks, @sushiritto . It’s post 159 in this thread.

2 Likes

Right, because kids who get into an ivy won’t immediately release Michigan (to make space for others who were not so lucky). So, it can’t be a yield issue.

I think it’s a crunch time issue… too many apps. I think UMich will be a crap shoot for RD.

For those of us who have kids with no likable options, and really want UMich (enough to have done EA), I’m saying prayers and crossing fingers.

2 Likes

Kids who are applying to Michigan are most likely applying to Ivies. Those kids who are accepted at an Ivy before Michigan has a chance to release decisions will probably choose the Ivy over Michigan. Especially kids who have financial need. Michigan will not match what an Ivy will give non-loan, grant wise. Same with Duke (they have announced they will release 3/31 at 6pm ET) Releasing after the Ivies do, means they are going to lose alot of accepted, qualified applicants. The only school that can release decisions after an Ivy and not really be hurt by it is Stanford.

2 Likes

So in your best opinion, when is most likely?

I see. Even though the dates haven’t changed post-covid, do you still think we could expect a mid-week date? That would make a lot of sense with the ivies.